Electric Stove Burners Not Working

If one or more burners on your electric stove stops working, you may be able to troubleshoot the cause yourself. This is a guide about electric stove burners not working.

I have a Hotpoint electric stove that was working, but just stopped. I went and got another stove and plugged it in and it is not working neither. I checked all the wiring and burners on the stoves with a multimeter and everything seems to be good on both stoves, but when I plug either one in they turn on, but are not heating up. Any idea what it can be?

Answers

You might have something wrong at the circuit breaker.

Check the wiring behind the stove? I know it's tough to test whether the outlet is functional (given that you can't plug anything else into it). Borrow a multi-meter if you can? (After checking the breakers, of course.)

What would make my electric burners just blow? Could it possibly be from spraying them with cleaning chemicals while cleaning?

By DW

Answers

It's always possible that using a spray cleaner could have caused all of your burners to fail but it's much more likely that you have a broken wire breaking the electrical circuit to your burners.

The wire(s) could be broken due to age, or it could be the break has occurred from the motion of lifting the burners to get to the area beneath if your stovetop is so designed.

This is a job for a professional. You're looking for an appliance repairman/woman who carries bonding and insurance, and holds specialised training in electric appliance repair. Pricey, yes, but safest option for you and anyone living in the home.

Have you checked the breaker box?

I have a separate stove and oven and they are on separate breakers. The 4 burners quit working. I replaced the breaker and still nothing. What should I do next?

By Rollin

Answers

It sounds as though you have a wire gone bad in the stovetop (the part where the burners are). It may be something as simple as a loose wire from the top being pulled up while cleaning.

Shut off the power to the burners and then use a flashlight to get a good look at the wiring to the burners-you will see the wiring leading to each burner, plus a main feed into the wall where the burner feeds into a junction.

Even if you find the wire, though, you should leave a job like this to a professional-preferably one factory trained on your model cooker. It may be expensive but it's worth it when you consider the fire hazard factor.

Have you checked the fuses in your stove top? As for a loose wire, if you have any handyman skills at all it is a very simple fix and certainly not worth the money a service call from a "professional" will cost you