Silver Cleaner

I saw someone on tv once that was using a combination of washing soda, salt and alluminum to clean sterling silver cutlery in seconds. I tried it but it didn't work! Have I got the ratio wrong?

S. Taylor from Toronto, ON

I use regular toothpaste to clean silver.

WE USE BAKING SODA. TAKE A SHALLOW BAKING GLASS CONTAINER. LINE WITH ALUMINUM FOIL. ADD SOME WATER ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF BAKING SODA. IMMERSE SILVER FLAT WARE.ALL PIECES MUST TOUCH THE FOIL. EXPERIMENT, MAYBE MORE OR LESS SODA, DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF WATER. IT WORKS EVERY TIME. MOVE PIECES AROUND TO MAKE SURE THEY CONTACT THE FOIL.

Use boiling hot water, and make sure a portion of each piece touches the foil or each other. Once the water cools, it no longer works.

I use heavy duty aluminum foil and a couple of handfuls of washing soda.

I also thought that it was baking soda and water and tin foil as per above description to clean silver.

I have used this and it is brilliant. The recipe is 1 tablespoon of ammonia, 1 tablespoon powdered whitening, 1 pint boiling water. Leave it for 15 minutes and don´t inhale. It will fizz and fume but once cool soak a piece of cloth in it and allow to dry. Use this cloth to clean your silver and polish off. You can also use this for silver cutlery.

I just read a site which said a tablespoon of baking soda and tablespoon of salt to half a sink of hot water with aluminum foil in the bottom. I tried a smaller amount in a glass bowl and put in a delicate piece that was heavily tarnished. worked really well. not perfect, but made an amazing difference. a little silver polish applied witha soft toothbrush after shined it up really well. This worked as well as an expensive silver dip I tried once before. don't keep in too long. watch it and take out when pretty good. It won't add a shine, as that must be hand polished, but will take off heavy tarnish. they also said that fur really heavy tarnish, salt and vinegar. I didn't try that yet.

Be Careful! I am a Chef and the method of baking soda and aluminum caused a chemical reaction that removed the tarnish but after a while, it slowly removed silver as well. A silversmith said it removed the silver and we were down to the base metals. He recommended me to buy silver cleaner called Silvermate. It's a liquid and just takes a few seconds to clean and polish our silverware.

Just try Silvermate silver cleaner! All these other tactics w/ boiling hot water is so unnecessary. Silvermate is a liquid silver cleaner that is 96% water and only takes a few seconds to clean and polish silver and gold and Silvermate does not leave any residue. If you are interested, just look at their website. What do you have to lose? www.silvermatecompany.com

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Metal CleanersFebruary 15, 2007
Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
🎉
🎄