Removing Dried Berries from Car

My SUV was parked outside while we worked on our house. Apparently, some kids thought it would be cute to throw berries on it. The weather was around 100 degrees outside and it was probably several days before we noticed. Does anyone have any idea how to get these off? I have tried soap and water and Goof Off. They are not budging. They are on the paint as well as the windows.

By Rhonda from CO

I use a product called Meguiar's (spelling may be off) Quick Detailer. It's great stuff, works on bird droppings, berries, all that stuff. You can get it in any store that sells car care products. I keep it in the trunk with a roll of paper towels.

If you can't afford the product mentioned above, put your trust in good old fashioned water, the universal solvent. It may take a little time and patience but has one great advantage it is free!

Peanut butter, I saw it on this site that was to clean off bird droppings, its cheap, everyone has it and its not toxic.

The Maguier's works somewhat, but floor wax remover is better. Water is almost totally ineffective with my berries. I've used Armstrong New Beginning floor wax remover for years, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the finish. It's a 13-year-old white Town Car. I used the Maguier's on the left half of my trunk and the floor wax remover on the right half. It went quite a bit faster on the floor wax remover half. I haven't tried any other brands yet. I scrub them with a kitchen plastic mesh pad. The secret with either product is to keep the berries wet and don't try to get a berry stain off all at once. Scrub each a little and move on and keep coming back.

First I would try an IPA wipe down, which is rubbing alcohol. Pecentage of alcohol doesnt really matter. Use a quality microfiber.

However there's a lot of variables. If the berries are acidic, try vinegar. However if you leave anything acidic on your paint for too long the acid will etch your paint making it impossible to remove.

If that doesn't work you could try mineral spirits. Remember, always use the least aggressive method first. The clearcoat on your car is only as thick as a post it note.

Good luck!

If all else fails contact a professional detailer. He/she can wetsand and Polish out the imperfections.