Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Paint On Cabinets

How can I get paint off the wood on my kitchen cabinets?

By Teena from Seattle

Here are questions related to Removing Paint On Cabinets.

Question: Removing Paint from Kitchen Cabinets

What is the best way to remove paint off of kitchen cupboards?

By Rosie P

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/11/2012

The only ways that I know of is to either sand them or use some type of paint stripper.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Paint On Cabinets

I just painted the kitchen, but some of the paint is on my cabinets. What should I use to remove the paint? Just around the outer part of the cabinets.

LaVerne from Upper Marlboro, MD

RE: Removing Paint On Cabinets

Latex or oil paint? OOPS sold in most hardware or paint stores removes some latex paints without harming wood finish. (04/17/2008)

By Patti R

RE: Removing Paint On Cabinets

Goo-be gone at Wal-mart or WD40 both work great. It is worth a try. Good luck. I use it when I paint which is a lot. (04/21/2008)

By Bonnie

RE: Removing Paint On Cabinets

Test an inconspicuous area, but lighter fluid works. Have you tried just a green scrubby, dish soap, and elbow grease? Sometimes that will work. Also, stuff called Goof Off. It's just like the Oops stuff Patti mentioned. Good luck! (04/21/2008)

By LAnBfflo

RE: Removing Paint On Cabinets

If the paint is fairly fresh, but dry, what I have done is wrap a thin rag around a putty knife or flat screwdriver and gently rub it off. That allows you to get very close to the painted surface and create a neat edge. It won't work if you've let the paint cure too long. (04/24/2008)

By Beth

RE: Removing Paint On Cabinets

Ammonia or for us ladies, lemon ammonia. (10/12/2008)

By Stacy