Antique Desk Smells Like Urine - Categories:

FurnitureCleaning

Antique Desk Smells Like Urine

I purchased an antique desk and didn't notice the terrible odor until I brought it home. It smells like urine. I washed with a lemon scented mr. clean and other products but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions, Thank you.

Sunny

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

There are lots of things to try but one that might work is lots of charcoal briquettes in the drawers etc.

Ellen

Stuffing the drawers with newspaper and waiting a few days might help. The newspaper should absorb the odor. If it's warm where you live, you might try setting it in the sunshine to "air out".

If it is a valuable piece of furniture, you could call an antiques dealer for suggestions. If not, use lemon oil liberally and let it sit for a half-hour to an hour, if it is made of wood. Then wipe off. If the odors are in the drawers, try the newspaper method or take out the drawers and wipe lightly with a scented oil or as suggested -- air out on a sunny day for a few days. Good luck!

Can you pinpoint the exact area the smell is coming from? There's probably no 'delicate' way to do this - you'll just have to get down on your hands and knees and sniff it! Its highly unlikely to be human urine so my thoughts were maybe an animal had 'marked' on it, e.g. a dog or cat. If you can find a spot near the floor, or even a drawer, where the small is strong you could try a product from the vet for getting rid of pet urine smells. If the smell is generalised all over the furniture it is either the wood, (not likely if it is sealed/polished - although maybe the internal carcass of the piece isn't sealed), or the finish. An expert furniture restorer may have come across this problem before and refinishing the piece may be the only answer.

Regards

Jo

First, wash the piece thoroughly and dry.You might use vinegar & water as it is a natural deodorizer & sanitizer. On an inside drawer you might resort to a dilute bleach water, but I wouldn't use on the finish. You can try the charcoal (this one works well for me), kitty litter, newspaper, soap (smells so good) etc.

What worked for me with an old trunk was to put it into the sunlight for a few days (bring it back in at night). This can make the wood darker (if a light colored piece), or lighter if a dark piece. So..if the smell is not from the top of the piece, I would cover it. Good luck with it.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJanuary 13, 2005
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:49:34 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.