CarpetCleaning

Cleaning Indoor/Outdoor Carpet

I spilled some fresh chicken broth (quite a bit) on the indoor/outdoor carpet outside my door. I cleaned it up, but it was a very hot day and now there is a rancid smell coming from the carpet. Does anyone have any tips on odor elimination? Any household remedies?

By Patty from Indianapolis, IN

Sprinkle baking soda over the area and over it with some newspaper. Leave it like that over night and the smell should be gone by the morning. If it remains try this process again. :)

I would try shampooing it with Dawn dish soap. It will cut the grease.

June 24, 2010 Flag

I want to clean my indoor and outdoor carpet with ammonia, will it course a problem?

By Carolyn from Tampa, FL

Answers:

Cleaning Indoor/Outdoor Carpet

Wash your carpet with gentle detergent and lukewarm water. Rinse by hosing it off. Here are specific problems and how to treat them:

Oil - Olefin tends to collect oil and can become dingy, so spot clean with dish-washing detergent solution and scrub brush, rinse, and dry. Good luck. (10/31/2009)

By kffrmw88

Cleaning Indoor/Outdoor Carpet

I am assuming the indoor/outdoor carpet is outside. If it's inside I certainly wouldn't recommend hosing it down! I don't say that to be mean to kffrmw88, but because a year or so ago someone asked a question of what to do after actually having used a hose to rinse their carpet indoors.

Anyway, ammonia is not such a good idea. Perhaps you could rent or borrow a steam carpet cleaner? (11/04/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes