Black Stain on a Smooth Surface Stove

I have a smooth surface stove, the black stain I have is not caked on food, it seems to be set in the glass. How do i remove this stubborn spot? I've tried everything, soft scrub, the cleaner they gave me when i purchased the stove, a degreaser...

Sheila from Golden Valley, AZ

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I don't have one of these stoves but someone I work with told me just yesterday that he came home and saw his wife cleaning the top of her flat top stove with a sugar cube. He said it did a good job and did not damage the stove. Just a thought.

Thank you, I will try the sugar cube!

Mine also has this stain....it seems to be under the glass. No matter what I try,razor, gel bleach, cerama bryte it does not go away. I have several rentals with a "cheap off brand" flat top stove and none of them did this however my Kenmore is giving me fits. Have you found anything to get rid of the stain or do I just have to live with it? I wonder if this is unique to Kenmore???

Sheila,

Did anyone respond to your question? I have the exact looking stain as you refer to and have no idea what caused it and have used everything that I know of and it still has that black stain (It is not raised -so using a scraper will not work.

Thanks! Pat

morris_pat AT bellsouth.net

I also have the black stain on mine, also does anyone have any advise on cleaning the rings that you get around the burners, other than a single edge razor?

I also have a Kenmore, I have try everything to get rid of the stain and have no luck. Please post any info on how to get rid of stain.

I also have the black areas on my Maytag Gemini, it looks like the little white dots have come off. This started to happen in the second year and is getting worse. I don't know how it happened, I don't have many boil overs and only use the glass stove cleaners. I use aluminum clad stainless steel pans??

I have the same problem with the black stain. I have tried everything to get rid of it, but nothing is working. Please help...

I also have the black stain on my Kenmore. I have no idea how this happened. I have always been very careful to keep it looking brand new, however, this stain will not come off. Someone please help!!

The Black stain in question, It is NOT a stain, it is a scratch on the glass, maybe using a glass buffer might help or Brite-Scotch cooktop pad. Good look!

I don't understand why the manufacturers don't give some indication as to what causes these spots and how, if possible, to get rid of them. I have had several smooth tops and no matter how careful, sooner or later the glass develops these impossible to remove stains. I believe it must have something to do with the heat of the glass and grease damaging the finish but I too have tried everything and the spots do not go away --- in fact, they seem to get worse. Why?

I believe that the sugar will etch a worse stain - I think that the stain may be from certain kinds of pots used on the stove top - I have the stain too and there appears to be no way to get rid of it - I would be highly leary of using sugar since my sister in law was warned that sugar on the burners would ruin them.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesNovember 6, 2006
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 11:12:34 PM on 10.0.2.150 in 915 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.