Removing Mud From Shoes

I have moved into an apartment after enjoying the abundant space of a house. Winter, and now spring, made me struggle with muddy footwear. I discovered that if I put one quarter inch of water in the sink and let the shoes rest there for a short while, the mud softens and I can brush it off straight into the sink then wash down the drain.

Then I put the shoes on my balcony or under the radiator, soles up, to dry. A tiny bit of water and a tiny amount of brushing and clean boots again - no mess on floors of the apartment.

By joanfry

1) That mud you are putting into the drain system will collect and harden like a rock... place shoes in a pan of water, when mud softens, remove shoes and then throw out the water [onto the grass] and hose off the remainder.

2] Heating your shoes will deteriorate the shoes [especially leather], stuff papers in the shoes and let dry naturally, they do make Boot Dryers that just produce slightly warm air, check out the Sporting Goods store [ie, REI].

I have a plastic pan that is a perfect fit for a pair of my husband's tennis shoes. Like Cajun, I put a little water in the pan and soak the bottom of our shoes while the mud is still soft and then pitch the water out in the yard. Sometimes I have to use a tooth brush to get the mud out of the grooves. It also works great for dipping the soles of the shoes after walking in wet grass, etc.. Keeping the bottom of our shoes clean helps a lot in keeping the house clean.

Muddy Shoes
Removing Mud From Shoes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesJune 3, 2011
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
A girl with mud stains on her clothing.
Removing Mud Stains from Clothing