Make a Weekly Menu Before Shopping

When my second husband and I married, I had two children and he had three. Since his wife had passed away, we raised all 5 of them. Needless to say, with a family that size, one must find as many ways to be frugal as possible. One thing I started doing was to make out a menu before doing my weekly shopping. I made my shopping list accordingly. That way I didn't buy more than I needed. I mostly cooked from scratch (including goodies) and shopped only once a week to save money on gas.

By Judy from Birmingham, Al.

Since we live 45 miles to the nearest big grocery store, I do monthly grocery shopping ( especially with the price of gas) I make a menu up also, but it is for the month. There is only the 2 of us, but it still saves $ . Prior to the 1st of the month, I scan thru cook books, mag, on the net, for good recipes , so my menu is not repetious.

Joy @ Culbertson , MT

Judy - I would love to see a "draft" of your weekly menu....I have been thinking about doing this (not for grocery shopping) because sometimes I just get too busy to prepare, or come up with everything in the freezer TOO Late! I have two boys 5 and 18 months, so they can be very picky (especially the 5 year old!) and my DH eats with us every four days for four nights (rotating shift).

I TOO DO THIS. I MAKE A WEEKLY MENU,BUY ALL I NEED FOR IT THEN WE CHOOSE FROM THE MENU WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO EAT EACH NIGHT.IT ALSO HELPS ME THINK OF MEALS WE MAY NOT HAVE EATEN IN A WHILE AND IT HELPS ME KNOW WHAT I MAY OR MAY NOT NEED. I WAS SPENDING MORE MONEY GUESSING IF I NEEDED TO GET AN ITEM TO MAKE A MEAL THEN FIND OUT WHEN I GOT HOME I ALREADY HAD SOME OF IT

This is to camo-angels; I tried to send you a direct message, but couldn't get through.---I really had no fancy draft for my menus. I have used steno pads to keep information and make lists for my chores. (things like that).I just listed the days of the week then proceded to write out a menu for each day. I didn't always write down everything. Sometimes I would just write " veg." and use something from my pantry. Also I wasn't rigid about having a particular menu on the day I origanily intended. Things happen !!!. I posted my menu on the frig for all to see. Sometimes my family would request a certain meal and even helped prepare it. I taught all 4 of my boys to cook and clean as well as my daughter. By the way, my boys like to cook better than my daughter.LOL I. hope this was some help to you. Judy

I am a single parent of three children: two adult children living on their own and one daughter living in a university hostel in another city. I shop on a monthly basis and work out my list according to the meals I plan to prepare. I cook the same amount I did when we were a family of five, but I freeze half for my daughter in the hostel - she has a fridge and a microwave in her room - and the rest for myself. This means that I can get by during the week without cooking, as I just heat a plate of food. This kind of planning does take time, but is worth every minute.

@ By the way, am I a single parent when all the children are grown-up??? Sort of, yes, but all the informational articles on single parenthood assume minor children living full-time with the custodian parent!!!

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingAugust 1, 2006
Happy Man Using PC Laptop
Keeping Your PC Happy
Weight Watchers Help Scale
Calculating Weight Watchers Point Totals
Making a Dinner Menu Board
Making a Dinner Menu Board
black shopping bag filled with fruit, veggies, and loaves of bread
Remembering Reusable Shopping Bags
🎄