Removing Hair Dye from Hands

My sister just dyed her boyfriend's hair and got hair dye all over her hands. She tried bleach, toothpaste and baking soda, and this special salon product made to take off dye, but nothing worked.

Men's hair dye is stronger and different from women's. It is harder to take off because it is much stronger. That is why you only leave it on for 5 minutes, unlike for women's hair dye which has to stay on fro 10 minutes. Anyway, what can she use to get men's hair dye off hands, eye brows, and head? Please help.

By lal22

First, men's hair color is not stronger than womens hair color. The difference in hair colors is the strength of the 'developer' (Lower volume developer covers more quickly and permanently because it doesn't 'lift' but rather 'deposits' the color). In any event here's the advice I gave to someone else today but the difference in advice for you is to not use on the eyebrows themselves or scalp or those hairs will be greatly lightened:

First, it doesn't make a bit of difference how much of a dark/darker color (paint as you call it) was mixed because it would have stained your hands no matter what because you didn't wear gloves. ;-) Since the Clean Touch you tried didn't work then go back to the beauty supply and get 40% volume hydrogen peroxide because it has the highest 'lift' (don't even bother with the 3% volume you get at the pharmacy). Wet your dry hands down well with it and 'lightly' rub a dub dub for a minute or two. You may need to repeat another time or two but it will get rid of most, if not all, of the stain. Wash your hands afterward and use some lotion while your hands are still damp so your skin is moisturized. I was a hairstylist for 35 years and my specialty was as a chemical technician.

August 24, 2010 Flag

After a night dyeing my friends hair black with no gloves (dumb mistake on my part), my hands were so stained that I could not see my pasty white skin, LOL. I tried everything posted on here to remove it and my grandma suggested fabric softener and dish soap.

It worked quite well, I soaked my hands in it and scrubbed gently with a dish scrubber for about 10 minutes, and it was almost all gone. Then I lathered my hands with aloe lotion for 10 minutes and proceeded doing this 4 times in a row. Worked for me my hands are now clean and pasty white again =)

I wish you all the best with your own hair dye catastrophe.

By kenziebaby from Canada

Removing Hair Dye from Hands

I'll have to remember this! I do wear gloves but sometimes a hole develops in the glove or some dye seeps into the glove at the wrist opening. Thanks for the tip. (03/04/2010)

By OliveOyl

Removing Hair Dye from Hands

We learned in hairdressing school that hair dye removes hair dye so if this should ever happen again just add a little dye to your skin, lather with soap and rinse. It should work.
One other thing, no one should ever dye their hair black. The darkest brown yes, black no. Bad look and carcinogenic. (03/05/2010)

By Judie

Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringAugust 24, 2010
A woman dyeing her hair at home.
Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub