Easy Taco Soup

contest winner icon

This is an inexpensive "dump recipe" -throw it in the pot, stir, then it's done! I had it in my head until I was pressed for time one night. My husband offered to make it, but I couldn't tell him what the amounts were. I then vowed to write it down so my husband or my two teens could make it as well.

• 2 lbs. lean ground beef, browned and drained (can substitute cooked, shredded chicken).
  • salt to taste
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans Ranch Style Beans, undrained
  • 2 (15-16 oz.) cans drained corn
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans
  • 4-5 (15 oz.) cans of any combination of the following beans: pinto, cannelloni, butter, or great northern
  • 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp. sriracha (Asian hot chili sauce) - is extremely hot
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 - 2 tsp. ground ginger (my mom used this to make beans not so "musical"; it seems to work!)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)

Serve with any of the following garnishes:

• lime juice or wedges
  • sour cream
  • shredded cheese
  • Ad
  • onions
  • olives
  • tortilla or corn chips (Fritos Scoops are delicious!)
  • more sriracha, for the truly brave!

Place browned hamburger in soup pan, add salt to taste. If you have onion haters in the family, dice onion fine and saute with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. butter. Caramelize to your preference. It takes the bite out of the onion, so your onion haters will never know the difference!

Add onion, tomatoes, chicken broth, ranch beans, and corn. Mash tomatoes and 1 can of beans if desired for smoother, thicker texture. Drain and rinse remaining beans in colander, and add to soup pan. Add cumin, sriracha, cinnamon, ginger, sugar, and salt.

Cook over medium heat for 15-30 minutes, until it thickens to your liking. Serve with your choice of garnishes

Servings: Lots!
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time

15 - 30 Minutes Cooking Time

By Marie from Idaho Falls, ID

I don't like anything very spicy hot. Can you tell me what to use in place of sirracha? Maybe hot pepper sauce? And cut it in half? Otherwise, sounds good.

Mexican Taco Soup
Taco Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups BeanAugust 25, 2010
Shrimp Tacos
Seafood Taco Recipes
Taco Bake on Picnic Table
Taco Bake Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Taco Shells
Making Taco Shells