Use Syringe to Remove Fat when Browning Meat

I use browned ground meat a lot. I like to remove as much of the liquefied fat as possible after browning to make the dish healthier. To do this, I place the skillet on something so that it rests at a slight angle, and pull all of the ground meat to the upper side. The fat will collect in the lower side. Then I use a syringe (without a needle) to suck up the fat. This does a good job of removing the liquefied fat and enables you to squirt it out into a throw away container without making a mess. A medium to large syringe work well but a bulb-type baster can also be used.

By Bebe52 from Lambert, MS

I just strain mine in a colander.

I strain mine in a colander also; then I rinse it with hot water while it's still in the colander. That gets most of the fat out.

I like your syringe idea. I'm sure it works well. I know this is not thrifty but I use a paper towel to soak up the grease when browning hamburger to put in a recipe. I place the hot greasy towel in something to cool then put it in the trash. Less greasy clean up to do afterward.

Removing Fat from Ground Beef
Removing Fat from Ground Beef
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsAugust 20, 2010
A frying pan of browned ground beef.
Browning Meat
homemade soup
Removing Excess Fat From Soup
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes