Making Candied Walnuts

My Candied Walnuts are seizing up! I got a really simple recipe for spicy candied walnuts, for my salads and snacking. I made a small batch the first time and really liked them, they came out with that hard crack type shell. I tried another recipe that the sugar crystallizes on the nut, didn't like it so much. So I made the regular size batch and it didn't work out that well. I used everything the way I was supposed to but the caramelized sugar/cayenne/salt/oil mixture seized up into a candy type stuff. Now don't get me wrong, this spicy sweet candy pieces are good, but I want it all over my walnuts!

What happened? And what can I do different next time?

Michawn from Morgan Hill, CA

Answers

You need to monitor the sugars temperature. You had reached hardboil stage. Lower the heat a bit. Go to this website and it will show you how to properly cook the sugar mixture.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/sugar-stages.html

Mixed Nuts in a Bowl
Flavored Nut Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips CandyMay 6, 2007
Carrot Pineapple Walnut Bread
Carrot Pineapple Walnut Bread Recipes
Waldorf Salad
Waldorf Salad Recipes
Walnuts
Sugared Walnut Recipes
walnut chicken
Walnut Chicken Recipes
🎉
🎄