What Can I Use to Get Rid of Ants?

I am having a terrible time with ants this year. What chemicals or natural products have you used to kill them?

By Lou

Best Answer

There is a product that can be found at Wal Mart, Target, KMart, or any hardware store. It's called Terro. It comes in a small 2 oz (or so) bottle.

Here's what you do. You watch and find out the path that the ants travel. Then you take a small piece of paper or cardboard maybe 1 inch square or so. Put one drop only on the paper and place it in the line of travel of the ants. It will attract the ants, they will eat it and get it on their feet and carry it back to the nest. It takes approximately 12-24 hours to work. Depending on the size problem you have, you will be ant-free in 1-2 days.

I've read many many reviews of this product, and use it myself when they invade my home, and have yet to hear of anyone who didn't have success with it.

Best Answer

Sweet-n-Low...that's right, Sweet-n-Low. Here in Texas we get ant piles in the yard every year, sometimes several times a year. Open up a packet or two or three (depending on how large the pile is) and sprinkle it on and around the ant pile. It is tracked back in to the source and in a day or so all the ants are gone. We have been doing this now for several years.

Source: My brother-in-law.

Margaret fromDenton, Texas

Best Answer

Use cornstarch, the ants fill up on it, it expands in their stomach and the rest (and the ant) is history.

Best Answer

Kill the whole nest as queenie can produce many more queens and queens live for up to 20 years. About 10% 20 mule team borax warmed just a little in a squirt bottle with Karo syrup. Put a squirt here and there but never where an animal can lick it as it is attractive. Ants carry it back to the nest and the whole nest is destroyed.

Best Answer

It really depends on what kind of ants. Some are sweet loving and Terro will work well-others are protein feeders and Terro will not be so good. The corn starch and grits myths do not work because ants do not eat solids. Their larva eat these substances and excrete out a harmless but nutritious liquid they can eat.

I used Sweet-n-low last summer in my kitchen and had ants all summer, I really think I only fed them..I did see them carry it, but it did not kill them!

I keep getting them in my bathroom and Terro works right away. They will come back after a while, and you will need to use it again.