CarpetCleaning

Laundry Detergent as Carpet Cleaner

I am cleaning my carpets today, I ran out of store bought carpet cleaner, and I wanted get done. I knew if I left home to get more cleaner, I wouldn't want to go back to cleaning the carpet, so, I started looking around the house to see what I could use. I decided on my brand of laundry soap, Arm and Hammer with stain fighter, the scent was Clean Meadow. I filled an empty one gallon milk jug 3/4 full with hot tap water, put one cap full of the laundry soap in it, and slowly finished filling the jug. I put the mixture in the fill tank of my carpet cleaner and tried it out.

It worked great, just as good as the store bought cleaner and made the carpet smell like a spring meadow. I won't be spending money on anymore pricey carpet cleaner, I will use my laundry soap, works just as good and it doesn't sud up anymore than what I was using.

By Jennifer from Peru, IN

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Oh please do not ever use laundry detergent on your carpet! These kinds of products cause extreme residue buildup on your carpet and it will attract dirt twice as fast! Carpet cleaning solutions have chemicals in them to prevent buildup. Also, never use those carpet deodorizer powders. The powder settles into the backing of the carpet and makes the fibers go flat, just like if you didn't wash your hair. I love being thrifty, but carpet is a big investment and should be cared for properly. 18 years experience in the floor covering industry!

I think it's all soap of one kind or another.

Whatever works...

I use the clear Arm and Hammer HE kind in my carpet cleaner! It's awesome and I have white carpet, so I don't get the whole residue thing, if that was the case wouldn't my clothes be filled with residue?

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetMay 2, 2011
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 14, 2016 at 1:39:10 AM on 10.0.1.73 in 303 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.