Advice For Dealing With Dead Squirrels

This about squirrels so don't know if having this under pets is quite right but it was the best I could find...

So basically last week a dead squirrel appeared on our front lawn. When we moved him we noticed there was no sign of any injury on him. He looked very healthy.

A week later and another squirrel has died in exactly the same place on the lawn, looking healthy and again no injuries.

I can't think that there's anything in our garden that would poison him or kill him. We are baffled. We've lived here for 4 years and it's never happened before!
I don't want the squirrels to keep on dying so does anyone have any ideas what's happening?

Hea from UK

I've never heard of anything like that. Call your local wildlife rehabber and/or a vet who treats wildlife. That's terrible. I feed big & little squirrels & chipmunks.

Squirrels can have diseases and viral diseases just like humans. There is a "poxlike" disease which left lesions on the fur that I saw as a child when my dad hunted squirrel. West Nile virus has also been found in the squirrel population. They are into everything and also are sometimes victims of electrocution if you have power lines there. And sometimes mean people do mean things so even though you are good to them and worried about them, your neighbors might not be. We have had cases of people putting antifreeze (like the kind in your car) in food or rat poison in food for animals. The antifreeze causes alcohol poisoning and the rat poison is a blood thinner which takes awhile but causes death. People can be so mean. A vet can do an autopsy. In the US we have Wildlife Officers but I don't know the resources in the UK. Good luck with your problem. I hope you have no more dead squirrels. If you have your own pets make sure they don't have any contact with the squirrels just in case.

Contact your police or humane society's animal control division. Also, contact your county Cooperative Extension Service. It doesn't sound like sickness. Is there a high tree they may have fallen from in that spot? I would be extremely wary and watchful of this situation. Lyme disease comes to mind (tick-borne). Also West Nile.

I have the same exact situation at my house. Last week we found one squirrel and then today my sister found another one in my front yard. I am going to contact the township to find out what is going on. I have 3 small children and will not let them play outside until this is taken care of.

This just happened to me. Two days ago one squirrel and today another. This time it was still alive but no real movement...just twitching. I feel horrible for these little things. Looks like something is attacking the nervous system, broken neck, but no wounds. Weird part is that it is in the same spot. Unless I have a venomous snake that they are going to in my palm tree (it was found under it). Or they are just falling and breaking their necks, but two in almost the same exact spot? Dunno but I will contact the humane society thanks to the suggestions here.

Thanks, ~Baffled

I had an adult squirrel dead on my lawn last week with a small mark on his neck. I have many squirrels and last year one fell about 30 feet from a huge beech tree and a good deal of screaming had gone on before that.

My neighbor said that he saw the opossum in the tree at that time. I have posted about this problem in the past when he killed my small cat and ate most of her. Keep an eye out for these large animals and they should be removed by animal control if they are settling in to your garage.

Pets AdviceSeptember 26, 2007
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
Squirrel sitting.
Squirrels Eating Tomatoes
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)