WildlifeGreen Living

Cause of Dead Squirrels in Your Yard

We have recently found about 15 dead squirrels in the same spot under an oak tree. There are no visible markings or swelling on them. They look perfectly healthy. There are no power lines, and no pets anywhere close to this area. I've called animal control and they forwarded this information to our local biologist. But we are still waiting to hear from them. There are currently 2 dead squirrels within 2 feet of each other. This happened within the last 3 hours or so. The only predators I've seen in the yard are copperheads. But again, there is no visible markings on them. Any ideas?

Squirrels carry rabies. I am wondering if they had rabies. I would push for animal control to come to a solution.

Unfortunately, the most likely explanation is that someone is deliberately poisoning them.

I read on a University page online some thoughts of why squirrels that are healthy can be dead is that someone is poisoning them.

Another mentioned "a cold winter is ahead trees produce a chemical that will help the tree survive the cold and it is passed on to the acorns"

web.extension.illinois.edu/.../thisQuestion.cfm?ThreadID=20436&...

This does not sound good and it is easy to see why you are concerned. It may be poison but it is strange that squirrels are dying in the same area.

• I have found that local agencies are usually not very interested in helping anyone with "dead" animal problems but if others are having this same problem, they may listen to complaints and take some sort of action.
  • Most likely, someone will have to use a service/veterinarian that will preform a Necropolis (animal autopsy) to determine the cause of death.
  • If there is a university in your area that has veterinary courses you may be able to get them interested in this problem.
  • If no one will listen to your concerns, you may be able to contact your councilman (used to be alderman?) and ask for their help.
  • I have had good luck contacting my senator about similar problems as they do have an obligation to at least answer your letters. Their office will usually contact the appropriate person in your area and since they have to respond to the senator, they will usually contact you.

Information:

www.thoughtco.com/necropsy-definition-2291730

Is it possible they could have gotten electrocuted from running across the power lines?