Feeding Squirrels

Category Wildlife
Attracting squirrels to your yard will provide you with hours of entertainment watching their playful antics. This is a guide about feeding squirrels.

I have 2 old bags of popping corn. Can I feed it to my squirrels?

By Jane Smith from Bonifay, FL

Answers

Hello, yes, you can feed it to them but you must pop it first, they will love it.

Maybe. If this is just plane popping corn with no additives like oil. Then yes it is OK. Blue jays may decide this is their food, so be aware they like the corn seeds too. If this a package meant to be popped in the microwave. Do not give this to the animals! Sorry for the yelling, but this is very important. The oil and salt are very bad for the animals. Enjoy the show.

Does anyone have any idea what to feed squirrels?

Answers

We pit 4 1/2 QT ice cream bucket out for ours. Kept it full of dog food, bread crumbs dried corn kernals.

some bird seed. We set it out hanging the bucket over a branch All this seemed to work. An added bonus. Having their own feeder kept them out of the bid feeders.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

After arriving at the lake and getting our picnic underway, this little fellow decided it was a good idea to join us. Although he was a little skittish at first, the yummy taste of peanut butter and jelly kept him coming back for more.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

Here are some photos of my mother feeding a friendly little squirrel on our vacation in Hyde Park, London. She is really good with squirrels as she has a few pet squirrels at home. Some people even call her the Squirrel Whisperer!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

My husband built this platform for the bird food I put out for the many birds that come to feed. But here lately I have had two squirrels come and clean it out before the birds get to it.

By Eileen H.

Comment Like this photo? 8