"Old-Fashioned" Homemade Bread in a Bread Machine

This tip includes a recipe. The tip is for using a bread machine, but still having that "Old-Fashioned" Homemade loaf of bread.

I don't like the thick hard crust the bread machine makes, so I use my favorite recipe for bread and just use the dough cycle. I mix it, let it go through the "knead" cycle, then remove it, place in a greased bowl, turn, cover and let rise until double. Punch it down, shape it into a loaf and place in greased bread pan. Let rise again until it is just a little above the edge of the pan. Preheat oven to 375º and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the pan and immediately wrap it in a heavy towel until cool. Slice and enjoy.

And now for that recipe:

Add in this order to your bread machine: 1 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 Tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 Tablespoon yeast, 3 1/4 cups flour. When the "knead" cycle ends, turn the machine off and place the dough in a greased bowl and follow the directions above.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Could you please tell me what 3&frac flour means?

I would like to try this recipe because like you I do not like the hard crust of the bread machine. Thank you

From looking at other recipes, I think it is 1/4. When people send in recipes with the special characters for fractions, our server doesn't translate them right. Sorry about that.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Thank you for the info it will be helpful.

I need to make white bread in your machine hb-b101 and I have no recipe for it. Can you send me one? Thank you

Thanks I wanted to make some bread this week-end. Family will be happier w/ the bread like this. Thank You very much.

For a softer wheat bread I use gluten which also makes it rise better and for other bread I use buttermilk for the liquid as it seems to make it softer. Also, remember to keep your wheat flour in the fridge as wheat gets rancid since it has oil in it.

Bread Machine Tips and Tricks
Bread Machine Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadMay 11, 2004
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
bread loaf in a bread machine pan
Keeping Bread From Sticking in a Bread Machine
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄