Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes

Category Fudge
If you are not a fan of the newer methods of making fudge and are longing for the version cooked on the stove, then old fashioned fudge recipes are for you. This page contains old-fashioned chocolate fudge recipes.

With my mother's help, this was the first candy that I ever made and it brings back more memories than I can count. We always made fudge for Christmas for the family as well as for neighbors and as gifts for many people. We could never make it on a rainy day though as it wouldn't set up properly, so on rainy days, we made cookies.

There was a time when ladies took their well-behaved children and visited other mothers. They'd spend all afternoon making candies. Fudge, Divinity, and Sea Foam Candy. Much of it went into CARE packages for our men and women overseas, but we children could always look forward to having a few pieces in our Christmas stockings. Today, with such a bountiful array of every imaginable kind of candy so readily available at every drug and grocery store, we don't make homemade candy that much anymore. It's still the best candy in the world though, and every child should know the difference IMHO.

Pookarina's Note:The syrup was not added when I was a child, but I learned in later years that it helped with over-crystallization of the sugar. It still remains an optional ingredient and is not absolutely necessary. The original recipe on the backside of Hershey's Cocoa cans did not mention anything about Karo syrup.

Directions:

Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with aluminum foil, butter the foil.

Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a 4 quart saucepan, add milk and corn syrup (if using). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil without stirring until mixture reaches 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage).

Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla; do not stir. Cool at room temperature to 110 degrees F.

Beat with a wooden spoon until fudge begins to thicken and loses its gloss. Spread quickly into pan, let cool to room temperature, then cut into squares.

Pookarina's Note: We used a buttered heavy platter for fudge. If I were making it today, I'd still use a buttered platter. The butter aided in being able to cut and remove the pieces from the platter. Today, you only have to lift the foil along with the candy, place it on the counter top and allow it to cool thoroughly.

Once in a while, we slipped up on the weather conditions, and our fudge wouldn't set up, so we ate it with spoons while watching one another like hawks to make sure no one got more than they were supposed to be getting. The boys were terrible little piggies.

Servings: 16
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
35-40 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Hershey's Cocoa (back of the can in 1940)

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

I have been using this fudge recipe since 1961. It is a creamy type fudge and very easy to make.

• 2 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cups Carnation evaporated milk (small can)
  • 12 Kraft marshmallows
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • dash salt
  • 6 oz. Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels (1 cup)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • Ad

• 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

Mix sugar, evaporated milk, marshmallows, butter, and salt in a saucepan. Cook stirring over medium heat until it comes to a full boil. Stir constantly and boil for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate morsels until melted. Add nuts and vanilla. Pour into buttered pan or Pyrex dish. Cool and cut into squares.

By Litter Gitter from NC

It's chocolate fudge, yum! It brings back memories of my childhood. It's very fattening, but we all deserve a little indulgence sometimes.

Directions:

Mix the sugar, cocoa and milk in heavy large pan. Cook on medium high until the soft ball stage, then cook for one minute longer.

Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter or margarine. Mix.

Now, beat the mixture by hand. I use a wooden spoon. The beating may take awhile if it is humid outside. Keep beating until mixture thickens up and gets a glossy look. If you taste it during the beating, you will notice that it is very creamy at first, when it is about time to pour the mixture into a buttered pan or dish, you will notice the taste getting richer and a little gritty.

When it gets to that stage, you need to pour quickly or it will set in your cooking pan. After pouring into dish, put in fridge and let set. Cut into squares. Enjoy, but you may need a glass of water or milk to go with it, this recipe is extremely rich.

(If you make on a very humid day, the fudge may not set, but don't worry, it is edible with a spoon.)

Source: My great-grandmother Nellie Brown. She made this every year for Christmas for the whole family. Every single person (from young children to adults) got their own batch of fudge, wrapped in colorful cellophane in a pretty Christmas dish; no wonder we aren't very thin!

By quessa8 from Kingston, OK

A couple of years ago I offered to post this recipe for old fashioned fudge that is grainy. I never posted it because I lost it. Recently found it and thought I'd post it for those who still want it. This fudge is not smooth and creamy (equals slimy to me), it is the old fashioned stuff that was made before marshmallow creme. It is absolutely delicious and the grainy texture is not from the sugar not dissolving, it's made to be this way!

Directions:

Grease 8 inch square pan (OR line with foil and grease the foil, then you can just pull it out of the pan and set on counter to cut). In heavy pan/pot, mix sugar, corn syrup, unsweetened chocolate squares, salt and evaporated milk. Cook to 238 degrees F (softball stage).

Now this step is what I don't remember the directions say, didn't write them down. Some people say, when making candy, to heat the stuff at medium to medium high temperature without stirring. I use heavy pot (my pressure cooker) and heat it at medium high to high & stir it with a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula, scraping the sides down.)

Once it reaches 238 degrees F., remove from heat and cool to lukewarm (you can let it sit to cool, but I usually put it in a bowl of ice water and stir it a couple of times until it's lukewarm). Add vanilla (and optional nuts). Beat with electric mixer until creamy, pour into pan and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.

I haven't made this for around 3 years, so I can't give better directions (if I make it,I'll eat a whole pan! LOL). So if you have trouble with or questions about, just ask. I might be inspired to make a batch just to try to answer your questions.

FYI: If you've never made fudge or candy, be warned not to try it on a rainy or really humid day because it won't set right.

Source: This is a delicious, grainy, old-fashioned fudge that I got from an Amish cooking TV show.

By Lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

Combine sugar and evaporated milk together in heavy pan and boil for 8 minutes. Pour the above mixture over the chips, butter, marshmallow creme, vanilla and nuts and stir.

Line an 8-inch square baking dish with foil and spray with non-stick spray. In saucepan melt butterscotch chips and stir in vanilla frosting. Stir in nutmeg and rum extract.