Wine Bottle Hurricane Lamps

contest winner icon

I receive a couple of e-catalogues (I can't afford anything in them but they're fun to look at anyway) and an item for sale in one of them simply floored me. They're asking $99.00 - $249.00 plus shipping for just ONE wine bottle candle hurricane lamp! Oh my!

I immediately got online and checked out how much it would cost for a bottle/jar cutting kit and found a couple of sites that sell them for only about $40.00 and they are complete with cutter, polisher and instructions!

I am not a wine drinker but I know plenty of people who are (in moderation of course), and they will gladly donate the empties so I can make a bunch of assorted sizes and colors by simply cutting off the bottom of the bottles to give away as gifts, maybe even sell at local craft fairs or keep for personal use! The candles can be purchased at the dollar store.

Oh, and you can use the glass cutting kit for jars and assorted bottles to make vases, pencil holders, candy and nut holders, etc by cutting off the tops instead of the bottom for future projects too. And recycling is good ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

This would be fun to make and a great gift.

Who needs a cutting kit - just fill the bottle with water until upturned it is at the level you wish to cut. Then with the bottle secure upside down soak string in methylated spirit tie at the water line and light. Stand well back the bottle will crack at the line clean as a whistle polish with fine emery paper or cloth, simples'.

This method was used by the old time Delta Blues men to cut the tops off coke bottles to make their glass slides - Oh Yea!

I am sure you mean well, Challenger, and I truly don't mean this in a bad way towards you but not everyone wants to risk starting a fire or possible explosion and I for one can not breathe in that nasty strong chemical because of Emphysema (of which those types of chemicals were the cause in the first place). Thanks, but I'll pay a bit extra for a kit and wear a dust mask rather than chance further lung damage or having to maybe call the fire department :-(

I sure would like to see pictures of these.

I would buy the kit also. Better to be safe than sorry! Back then people didn't know any better so they did what they had to!

I googled this, and was absolutely astounded at the number of different lamps made. Some were pretty basic, but some were really different, with interesting cuts. If you got good at making these, and they looked professional, I bet you could sell them. I like the fact that they come in so many colors of glass too.

Craft Uses for Wine Bottles
Crafts Using Wine Bottles
Crafts Recycled CraftsDecember 15, 2009
Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Three empty green wine bottles against white background
Empty Wine Bottle Gift Ideas
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄