Use Styrofoam to Transport Hot Items

In trying to keep the landfill free of styrofoam, I clean and reuse mine for a lot of things. I use styrofoam under planters, as trays for under craft projects (like those using glitter), etc.

Today, I was nuking some spuds for fried potatoes and transference them from the glass tray to the cutting board. Spuds tend to roll off if carried far, so I popped on a tray and they transferred just perfectly. You can do the same for hot bowls of cereal, soup, or anything you need a little bit more "friction" and help with spillage. I hope this helps!

By Poor But Proud from Sweet Home, OR

Just be careful, please, and don't nuke the styrofoam. Along with some other materials, like plastic, it gives off noxious fumes when nuked. This actually came out of Johns Hopkins research recently.

Nope, just use them to transfer. Good tip tho', thanks!!

Also, make sure that the food isn't so hot that it starts to melt the Styrofoam. We've actually gotten take-out food and by the time my husband got home, the food had started to melt the container!

You better be careful about putting food on reused styrofoam trays even if you wash it good. Raw meat can soak into the tray and even if you wash it it can still carry some of that meat. My son works as a meat cutter and he said he would not recommend using the trays for food.

Styrofoam on White Background
Reusing Styrofoam
Photos OtherDecember 1, 2010
Styrofoam Ice Chest
Crafts Using Styrofoam Ice Chests
Floral ball made of artificial roses.
Making Styrofoam Floral Balls
Black styrofoam meat tray against a white background
Uses for Styrofoam Meat Trays
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
🎉
🎄