Budget Something For Fun

No matter how broke you are or how frugal you are being, there should always be something in the budget for entertainment. We all need that to re-charge. I live in an urban area, so I always have an eye out for deals. For years, I got to watch good theater down at the Mark Taper Forum, just for standing in line at previews! (That deal, alas, is gone...) There are organizations/websites that give discounts on unsold tickets - sometimes quite good ones - so look for the ones for your area and get on all the mailing/email lists you can. And don't forget art openings - they have wine and cheese and can be a night out, too.

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

sounds pretty smart. but entertainment and partying are luxury expenses. if your broke or cutting down expenses i would suggest looking for a job and setting aside a little money for a couple of dvd's at rogers or a nice 40$ dinner at a steakhouse. but nice idea though.

I don't think you should go to an art opening just for the free food, BUT if you are interested in the art, you would be more than welcome. Most art openings are not as well attended as the artists would like. Another thought for inexpensive entertainment is author readings at book stores. Of course, it is hard not to buy the book then!!!

Some art galleries have no admission, and some small theatrical productions are very inexpensive -- sometimes less than the price of a movie. You could also check out what your local schools have for theater or music productions. Kids have a lot of talent, and really appreciate the audience.

Even when I had money, I preferred daytime entertainment, picnics, book clubs at the library/Art museum free exhibits, feeding ducks at the local pond, strolls on cool mornings/afternoons, bird watching, park hopping with the kids/guests, progressive lunches with friends, crafting, strolling the mall to people-watch/window shop, helping others less fortunate, writing, reading, creating new

dishes, rearranging furniture, planning for guests,

patio/garden chats with special teas/toast, exercise

and stretching, bike riding, tennis, volleyball, softball, scrapbooking, collecting, exploring

nature, recycling, repairing, going to church functions, all for free except gasoline, which was cheap back then, limiting now. Remember that

"the best things in life aren't things" and aren't enjoyed in the dark. God bless you. : )

I agree. No matter what life throws at us money wise it is always important to have a little fun. One way to have room in the budget for entertainment is to throw all of your loose change in a jar and at the end of the month you will be surprised at how much you have! It almost feels like free money.

My philosophy is to stretch the dollar and live the good life, too...it's amazing how it can be done...We heard some great live music outside this wkend - had some dinner - & no cover, too....No, I don't go to art openings for the cheese! But if you are running over there & have missed dinner, you can nibble....They are usually glad to have you - if you look respectable & I make a point of being so. Actually, the more respectable you look - in L.A., that is which is slightly moneyed - the more likely there are to be free goodies...Think of the celebrity goodie bags at all those award shows!

I do work p/t - but $ can always be an issue - esp. in this high-priced urban area, when it feel like you spend $ just going out the door....

Our family of 5 sold enough on craiglist for a 5 day trip to Disneyland! We had tons of stuff lurking in our attic to sell. We didn't realize how much though!

Two kids at an amusement park.
Budgeting for Something Fun
Budget & Finance BudgetMay 29, 2007
Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
Bride and Groom Putting Money in Piggy Bank
Creating a Budget for Your Wedding
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget, Red tool box full of tools.
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget
🎄