Window TreatmentsDecorating

Painting Window Shades

What about painting window shades? I am thinking of changing my bedroom comforter. The wall color will be OK but the shades will no longer work. They are decorative shades with some fringe on the bottom. Any suggestions short of buying new shades? These shades are about 45 or 50 inches wide so a bit more costly than the regular size.

Donna from Michigan

I have never done this, but I seen it once in a womans home while in the military. She took wallpaper and put it on the shades. We weren't allowed to decorate with paint so she did this instead...easily removed when she moved. Good Luck.

I see no reason not to paint the shades. You may need to remove the trim and replace it with new in a color that works.

You could also cover the shades with fabric in a pattern or color of your choice. Just use spray adhesive on the window shade to adhere the fabric.

I've never tried this myself, but I saw an easy idea to change window shades on a TV decorating show. The show host used spray adhesive in a can on the shades and then attached fabric to the shade that was a better match with the room's new color scheme.

Tori in PA

I have tried painting lampshades and it looks uneven and splotchy with the light on. I think the same would happen to window shades with the light shining through from outside. I'd try covering them with light-weight fabric or wallpaper.

here's an idea, why not sponge paint your shades? you could do this treatment on both sides, this way, you have gorgeous color but no worries about spotches! Have fun. Designer Mom*

Sponge painting is a great idea! Thanks. I might try that.

What keeps the paint from cracking when you roll the shade up and down?

Has anyone ever tried to paint those pleated window shades? I've been considering it.

It would depend on the fabric/paper/plastic from which the shade is made. I painted some years ago. I think they were paper or plastic. i just used acrylic paint with a brush and painted vines and flowers. They were very attractive.

I have honeycomb shades and I would love to change the color of the them. Has anyone tried to spray paint or dye them?

By Nancy