Cabinet Colors for Kitchen With Gold Countertops

I have harvest gold countertops. I would like to paint my dark wood cabinets to something brighter. I have single window at the sink and a double window on the side where there are no cabinets.

By Sandy from Broadway, VA

My personal choice would be a deep cream and paint the walls to match the darkest tone of the counter tops. That would tie everything together including your current flooring and over the sink curtain.

I would shy away from a yellow tone, as it may look dingy next to the countertops. I think you can get by with cream or even white.

I had the same thought as you did, so I painted my dark oak cabinets a white color after I had lived here for 20 yrs. Well, think this through before doing anything. I have never been so disappointed in painting my wood cabinets. Light paint is awful & shows every mark. What I should have done is just changed out all the cabinet hardware for a new updated look & just paint the walls a different color instead. Hope this helps you.

I don't have a suggestion, but I do have the exact same cupboards. I will take Ace00 advice into account, and not be in a hurry to paint my cupboards.

Your dark wood cabinets are pretty and very "in ". I would not paint them. Perhaps you could remove the drapes from the window to let more light in or otherwise brighten up the room with more light.

My first house I painted my dark cabinets to lighten up the look using grey backs and lighter grey fronts. I then polyurethaned (with a non-yellowing type) on all of the painted surfaces to avoid chipping the paint and for the ease of cleaning... IF I never intended to use that kitchen again.. it would have been fine. (LOL.. front cover of GoodHouseKeeping Magazine) But Alas, after a couple of years of cooking (heat, steam & the likes) they looked horrible.

I now live in a home that had DARK walnut cabinets(stained from the actual walnut tree that still stands) (circa: 1888) the cabinets were nothing fancy just very dark and rather plain. This time I took all the doors off, pulled the drawers out and removed the hardware. Then I sanded them down. The dark stain remained in the wood grain, but the rest came out a nice lighter color. Since it was down to bare wood I used PolyAcrylic to be able to maintain them. They are great!

Just remember, if you choose this method; don't try to sand all the nooks and crannys on the fronts, just do what is flat. From the looks of yours, you may even end up with 2-toned doors. That would be very nice looking. In the end if you do not like the way it turns out, you can restain, or paint them or replace them. But, I bet you would like the way it turns out. Remember once you paint, you have to strip them, or live with it. Please choose wisely. Sandpaper is cheap and a belt sander or an orbital followed by some hand sanding going with the grain is actually lots easier, too! Good luck with whichever way you choose. :-D

I say keep the cabinets, remove the hardware. Fill the holes and add brushed nickle handles in corners, rather than the center as they are now. Paint the walls Koala Bear by Behr and the counters with khaki/beige stone spray paint, followed by polyacrylic.

Remove all the decor over and on the counters, including the valance. Replace with bamboo roman shades and replace the flourescent light over the sink with a simple pendant. Decorate with clean white cermic and stainless steel. Keep counter space as clear as possible.

Consider painting the dinette set white or khaki or add a tablecloth in those shades. I think these changes will lighten and modernize for under $150.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceFebruary 6, 2010
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
A shiny pile of gold chains, rings and other jewelry
Cleaning Gold Jewelry
Cash for Gold
Selling Gold Jewelry For Cash
🎄
🍂