Mashed Potatoes Without Fat

I discovered a great way for making mashed potatoes, and I don't use any fat in it.

While making the potatoes for mashing, I put a can of vegetable broth into a pan, and just simmered it while the potatoes were cooking. When the broth was concentrated about 1/2, I used that for mashing with my potatoes, more milk or water if I needed. The concentrated broth was so intense, the mashed potatoes were so flavorful, no one needed any butter at all in or on it.

I taught my son to make that, and he got so into making that, he made the broth with adding onion, garlic, and mushrooms, and his mashed potatoes tasted so wonderful! He likes to be creative with food. :)

I mostly use vegetable broth, because I am vegetarian, but, my son will make meat broth concentrate with other broths.

Source: I was just looking for an idea to lower the fat and calories, and broth was fine, but, the broth concentrate was even better.

By Kathryn from Grand Rapids, MI

Oooo, Oooo you have me thinking! I know it's not 'no fat' but I am going to try that with French Onion Soup or Cream of Celery or Cream of Broccoli! Yum Yum! Thanks for this great tip!

That sounds really good too Deeli! My son really did a lot of experimenting with the concentrated broths, and if I was around, he used vegetable broth, for his Mommy. . .heh heh. He's way down in Alabama now, so I don't see him as often, but, that last time, he put white wine in the concentrate, and it really did taste really good too, I wouldn't have thought that wine and mashed potatoes can go together well, but, it did. :) He got the concentrates even more concentrated, more like about 1/3 of a cup.

Bowl of mashed potatoes with a spoon handle visible.
Low Fat Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Potatoes Mashed PotatoesOctober 8, 2009
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
🎉
🎄