Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
April 25, 2015
Mashed potatoes are good, but on occasion it's nice to change them up. This recipe also gives a nutritional boost to this family favorite with the addtion of turnips and the kids won't even know they are in there.
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 10-12 large potatoes
- 2-3 large turnips
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp sage
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- Wash, peel, and chop potatoes.
- Wash and chop turnips.
- Fill stock pot with water, potatoes, and turnips. Bring to a boil and simmer until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and turnips. Be sure to reserve 1 cup of cooking water.
- Chop onions.
- Add 1/2 cup butter to pan, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Cook on low heat until onions are translucent, stirring so garlic doesn't burn.
- Add 1 cup milk to pan.
- Put drained potatoes and turnips in pot and add cooking water to pan.
- Mash potatoes and turnips.
- Stir and add all herbs and spices.
- Stir all ingredients together and serve.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
November 20, 2011
Add shredded or finely chopped carrots, 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of potatoes. It adds a great color, and extra little sweetness!Read More...
Here is a delicious alternative to traditional mashed potatoes. It's an excellent way to use up leftover veggies and sneak added nutrition into a meal.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.