Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
You can enhance the flavor of mashed potatoes by adding other vegetables to them. Addition vegetables add vitamins, flavor and texture to your mashed potatoes. This page contains vegetable mashed potato recipes.
Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.
Mashed potatoes are good, but on occasion it's nice to change them up. This recipe also gives a nutritional boost to this family favorite with the addtion of turnips and the kids won't even know they are in there.
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 10-12 large potatoes
- 2-3 large turnips
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp sage
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- Wash, peel, and chop potatoes.
- Wash and chop turnips.
- Fill stock pot with water, potatoes, and turnips. Bring to a boil and simmer until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and turnips. Be sure to reserve 1 cup of cooking water.
- Chop onions.
- Add 1/2 cup butter to pan, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Cook on low heat until onions are translucent, stirring so garlic doesn't burn.
- Add 1 cup milk to pan.
- Put drained potatoes and turnips in pot and add cooking water to pan.
- Mash potatoes and turnips.
- Stir and add all herbs and spices.
- Stir all ingredients together and serve.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Add shredded or finely chopped carrots, 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of potatoes. It adds a great color, and extra little sweetness!
Source: More With Less Cookbook
By Kim from Crawford, CO