Plarn Summer Hat

Summer is coming! Before you go out, don't forget the sunscreen lotion and the brim hat to protect your skin and hair from the Sun. Remember: Safety First! Enjoy!

In this summer hat I made, I used sc, dc, tr, and trtr.

Approximate Time: 3 to 4 hours

• plarn (grocery plastic bag cut into strips)
  • size E crochet hook
  • sack needle
  • scissors

Instructions:

Start from the top of the hat

Crown:

1. Start ch 5, sl st to join to make a ring.

2. Round 1: *ch 2 (this is counted as 1 dc), 11 dc in ring (12 dc total), sl st to the top of *.

3. Round 2: *ch 2, 2 dc in each st up to the last st (24 dc total), sl st to the top of *.

4. Round 3: *ch 2, 2 dc in the first st, dc in the next st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (37 dc total)

5. Round 4: *ch2, 1 dc in the next st, 2 dc in the next st, dc in each st in the next 2 st, 2 dc in the next st, dc in each st in the next 2 st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of*. (50 dc total)

6. Round 5: *ch 2, dc in each st in the next 3 st, 2 dc in the next st, dc in each st in the next 3 st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (61 dc total)

7. Round 6: *ch 2, dc in each st in the next 5 st, 2 dc in the next st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (72 dc total)

8. Round 7: *ch 2, dc in each st in the next 6 st, 2 dc in the next st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of*. (82 dc total)

9. Round 8: *ch 2, dc in each st in the next 7 st, 2 dc in the next st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (94 dc total)

10. Round 9: *ch3, tr in each st up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (94 tr total)

11. Round 10 to 13: repeat round 9.

12. Round 14: *ch3, tr in each st in the next st, 2tr in the next 24 st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (102 tr total)

13. Round 15: repeat round 14.

14. Round 16: (this gives the "wavy effect" of the brim) *ch 2, sc in each st in the next 6 st, ch 3, skip 1 st then proceed sc in each st in the next 6 st, do this alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *.

15. Round 17: *ch 2, sc in each st in the next 6 st, ch 5 then proceed sc in each st in the next 6 st (overleaping those ch 3 you made in round 16), do this alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of*.

Brim

16. Round 18: *ch 4, trtr in each st up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (160trtr total)

17. Round 19: *ch 4, trtr in each st in the next 9 st, 2 trtr in the next st, do it alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. (176trtr total)

18. Round 20: *ch 4, trtr in each st in the next 10 st, 2 trtr in the next st, alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. ( 192 trtr total)

19. Round 21: *ch 3, tr in each st in the next 11 st, 2 tr in the next st, do it alt up to the last st, sl st to the top of *. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Floral Decoration:

First Layer:

2. Round 1: *ch 4, dc, ch 2, dc, ch 2, dc, ch 2, dc, ch 2, dc, ch 2, dc, ch 2, sl st to the second ch of *. ( Makes 7 petal holes)

3. Round 2: *ch 2, 2 dc in the 1st petal hole, ch1, 3 dc in the next petal hole, ch 1, 3 dc in the next petal hole, do the same pattern up to the last petal hole, sl st to the top of *.

4. Round 3: *ch 2, 2 dc in each st in the next 2 st, ch 2, skip 1 st, 2 dc in the next st, 2 dc in the next st, ch 2 skip 1 st then proceed, 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next st, 2 dc in the next st (do this alt up to the last st), sl st to the top of *.

5. Round 4/edging: ch 3, (skip1 st) sc, ch 3 (skip 1 st) sc, do it alt up to the last st. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Second Layer:

Join to the ring of the first layer of the flower.

1. Round 1: To make petal holes for the second layer: insert your crochet hook to the center hole of the first layer of the flower then to one of the petal hole, hook your plarn then yarn over, *ch 4, dc to the next petal hole, ch 2, dc to the next petal hole, ch 2, dc to the next petal hole, ch 2 (do this up to the last petal hole of the first layer flower), sl st to the second ch of *.

2. Round 2: *ch 2 (counted as 1 dc), 2 dc to the first petal hole, ch 2, 3 dc in the next petal hole, ch 2 do this up to the last petal hole, sl st to the top of *.

3. Round 3/edging: ch 3, (skip 1 st) sc, ch 3 (skip 1 st), sc, do it alt up to the last st. Fasten off and weave in ends.

4. *Sew the flower in to the hat using sack needle and plarn as thread.

By Nelly from Estacada, OR

Adorable!

Thank you Jilson. Here is a summer hat for kids that I made.

How cute and recycled material put to good use. Thanks for photos and well written directions.

I love nellypumpkin's yellow one also.

Beautifully made and how nice both hats turned out. Love the colors on Jilson's as well as on yours Nelly. I have so many plastic grocery bags, but I don't read a pattern. I think I still might try making something with them instead of just using them as trash and garbage bags. If they don't break down in landfills very well, then they should last just about forever serving as crocheted plarn grocery bags to be used over and over.

You ladies are indeed an inspiration. Thank you both for sharing. Thumbs up !

Pookarina

I don't really know how to read patterns so all of my plarn crafts are made free-style.

My hat turned out way too large, pretty but not useful. Granted I had to use an F hook instead of an E. So I tried again to work more tightly but even still the top of the hat is wavy. So now I am frogging to try and lessen the increases. Here's a picture of the huge ruffly hat with my cat.

Plarn hat.
Making a 'Plarn' Summer Hat
Crafts Recycled Crafts ClothingJune 10, 2011
child wearing fancy flowered hat
Making a Garden Party Hat
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Crocheted Green Plarn Bag
Making a Plarn Bag
plarn coin purse
Making Crafts With Plarn
🎉
🎄