Housekeeping and Shopping in a Wheelchair

I use a wheelchair to get around in my home and out in the public. I need ideas for housekeeping and shopping in department stores (Wal-Mart, ect.)

Thank you,
Evily from Cross Plains, IN

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I had to use electric cart in Wal Mart when I had knee surgery and the hardest thing was to get

milk or frozen foods due to glass doors. You should

be able to find a worker to get those things for you and they are very nice about it. Take your time and

be careful. As for housekeeping have someone help you arrange things so you can reach. Good luck.

I get around in a motorized chair so I understand your situation. I don't know your financial situation, but I am low income and live in subsidized housing. Therefore I qualify for a home care aide at little or no cost. My person comes 3 times a week, 2 hours each time. Usually Monday is cleaning day, Wednesday is cooking day, and Friday is laundry. I used to be able to do some cooking when I could walk some, but standing for very long, even a few minutes, gives me problems and pain. On cooking day 'we' make up meals that I can eat during the week, or make soup or side dishes, etc. Once a month on Wednesday my worker meets me at Walmart (I have to take the bus there). I do my major shopping then, items I can't carry on my own when I go alone. When I do go shopping alone, I use one of the little baskets that I can hold on my lap. Staff people will get somethings I can't reach. Other customers will get somethings if I ask, and sometimes someone will ask me if I need help to reach something. It is so aggravating when I am in my chair, just sitting there, and someone walks by and ignores me, especially when it is obvious I need help. Cleaning day is when floor is mopped, carpet vacuumed, dusting done, stove cleaned, etc. I try to keep up with dishes and general messes. Any type of work can be switched to different day as the need arises. Hope some of this is of help to you.

Many grocery and department stores such as Wal-mart will supply you with an employee who will help you shop. You may see a blind customer escorted by an employee who helps locate an item, reads the price, and gets it down from a shelf. These services are also available to those of us who must use wheelchairs or electric scoters. Try calling customer service or the manager at the store you want to shop in and explain that you have heard that most large chains supply this type of help on request, so you want to know what you need to do to obtain this service for yourself. Good luck!

Take with you a reacher. This will extend your arm reach about 27 to 36" depending on the size you get. You may purchase on line by googling or most stores like Walgreens, Walmart or Home Depot carry them. I'm short and take it with me for grocery shopping all the time.

Answer

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 1, 2006
Halloween Wheelchair Costumes
Halloween Wheelchair Costumes
Organized Basement
Organizing and Cleaning the Basement
woman in wheelchair with afghan
Making a Wheelchair Lapghan
A young woman in an electric wheelchair.
Using an Electric Wheelchair in Snow and Ice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 14, 2016 at 11:16:43 AM on 10.0.1.177 in 718 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.