Non-Prescription Sleeping Aids

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with Benadryl(tm) - the generic name is diphenhydramine - which is used for anything from motion sickness to allergies to insomnia. (Note: If you buy it as an allergy medication, you will get the most drug for your money). In any case, I've found it to be an extremely effective aid in getting to sleep. However, I've had to give it up because a side-effect that occurs very soon after taking it: being uncoordinated to the point of not being able to walk, and an eventual serious side effect: pronounced tremor. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-opioid, non-prescription sleeping aid? Thanks.

auBois from Los Alamos, NM

my side effect is vertigo, but only if I take it two consecutive days. Good thing you discontinued it. You could try some of the herbal remedies like valerian or melatonin, but a prescription like Pamelor might work best.

Sleep cd's can be a helpful and all natural way of improving your sleep.

auBois, I use Melatonin, and it works great! No side effects because it isn't a chemical but a natural product. It is very inexpensive too. It comes in 1mg and 3mg. Because I am a large person I take the 3mg. If you are unsure, get the 1mg to begin with. That way you can take a second or third one to help you get to sleep. I don't wake up groggy, either. That is important to me. Judy from Alabama(bjptl)

I have great results with melatonin. It takes about 1/2 hour but works well with no side effects. It is an amino acid (protein) so is safe in small quantities. Benedryl puts me right to sleep to the point that I only take it if I'm having an allergic reaction to something (bug bites or bee stings and know I will be able to go to sleep right away.) I save it for when nothing else will work and I really need a good antihistimine.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I use Equate Motion Sickness Tablets from Wal Mart. It is the same thing as Dramamine....but, much cheaper. I paid $4.27 for 100...3+ months supply. I have no side effects whatsoever. BUT, you might try the 24 pill package first to see if it works ok for you. Everyone I have told about this product has had the same positive results I have. BTW, it is not addictive!...AS PER MY THYROID PHYSICIAN. He told me if it works, GO FOR IT! Also, I do NOT have the "drugged" feeling in the morning.

I've taken it since 1990. Still works great for me.

I really like Tylenol PM. It really relaxes me and helps me sleep.

Only take one of the benadryl or PM otc drugs. Two is too much for me in the morning --- can't wake up!

As an aside-- do you have any Native American ancestery? Studies have shown that N.A. have different response to CNS (Central Nervous System) drugs-- and Benedryl is one of those-- a "minor" one, but still one. BTW Tylenol PM has benedryl in it--

My response is good for sleep-- but I then have a "hangover" as it lingers the next day. So if I think I need benedryl-- I cut tylenol PM in smaller pieces to give me a very reduced dosage. Rarely do I need more than tylenol. It seems if I suppress my aches and pains-- I get to sleep easier.

good luck

melatonin. it's naturally produced by our bodies + it's very safe. my pediatrician recommended it for my son when he was 9.

Hot Camomile tea works for me. Also, a cup of warm milk works, too. Not at the same time. I've used either one or the other.

Chamomile tea works for me too. No side effects.

Those are serious side effects. First I would talk to a pharmacist and see what he/she has to say about it. But, I would consider talking to a doctor about it also. The side effects might be a warning of something serious that needs to be taken care of. Good Luck!

Don't forget to look at Herbel Remidies. Vitamin World is the store where I get mine.

VALERIAN FOR INSOMNIA. Valerian's centuries-old reputation as a sleep aid has been validated by many studies. And unlike many sleeping pills, valerian is not addictive.

Dosage: Follow label directions.

Cautions: Raw valerian root smells and tastes terrible. Use a commercial preparation. Some include other safe tranquilizing herbs such as hops or lemon balm.

www.HerbsForHealth.com

I have used melatonin in the past but haven't used it in a long time. I use valerian root now and it works like a dream! Smells to high heaven and drives my cat crazy, but it works for me. I have heard a lot about "moon drops" which is a homeopathic remedy that is supposed to work great, but I haven't tried them. I've heard good things about the Unisom sleep tabs (the ones with Doxylamine Succinate not the gel caps with Diphenhydramine HCl) but again, haven't tried them myself.

MY DAUGHTER IS PREGNANT SO SHE CAN TAKE ANYTHING OVER THE COUNTER SO SHE BOUGHT SLEEPY TIME TEA AT WALMART WHICH IS ALL NATURAL AND SAYS IT WORKS GREAT

Try Valerian. You can buy it in pills or liquid. I use the liquid. It tasts foul but dont let that put you off trying it. I thought it was disgusting at first but it works and I got used to it. Also it helps to relax your muscles and ease aches and pains.

My husband works nights and our doc suggested Benadryl; it has worked for several months, but he can only take it 1-2 days. Last time on the 3rd day, he had a terribly racing heart that was pretty scary. WE figure it was the Benadryl.

MY DAUGHTER IS PREGNANT SO CAN'T TAKE MUCH BUT SHE SAYS THAT SLEEPY TIME TEA WORKS FOR HER

valerian is good but my herbalist recomends detoxing off it every 3 months or so if you use it alot as it can build up in your liver

I use benadryl (3 pills) and Advil (3-4 pilss about 30 minutes before I go to sleep. That usually makes me drowsy enough to go to sleep. I would star with maybe 1 0r 2 Benadryl if you cant handle the high dosage.

I have been using Wal-dryl (cheaper than Benedryl, especially on sale at Walgreens, and essentually the same thing) for several years and it works perfectly. I take one pill (Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg) an hour and a half before bedtime.

I have tried several sleep aids but find that if I read or work "Search word puzzles "till I get sleepy. It's just as good as taking a pill. Good luck.

Hi:You are not alone,guess we got our clocks set when going to work or getting up with babies & etc,I have done like you,tried lot of things,I find that going for long walks (I walk at least a mile every day,sometimes 2 miles)during the day,I also have a veggie garden & lot of flowers,get your body tired,I sleep a little better doing the above,I feel better without pills,good luck.

Health & Beauty AdviceSeptember 12, 2006
dog food dish
Make Your Own Non-Slip Pet Dish
Non Toxic Mold Cleaner
Non-Toxic Mold Cleaners
A senior man wearing a hearing aid.
Hearing Aids for Low Income Seniors
Making Decorative Breads
Making Decorative Breads (Non-edible)
🎄