Hearing Aids for Low Income Seniors?

December 11, 2009

A senior man wearing a hearing aid.I was wondering if anyone knows of places that might provide help for seniors with hearing aides? I have profound hearing lost, but hearing aides only last 4 years. Any help appreciated.


By betty from Ashville, AL


December 11, 20090 found this helpful

I only know of how you can get a discount on hearing services and hearing aides. Also you may check with the Lions Club in your city.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 12, 20090 found this helpful

You might check out this article:

Here are the links to those that were wrong/missing:

Best of luck to you!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 472 Feedbacks
December 15, 20090 found this helpful

See if there is a college that has a Speech and Language Pathology Department in your area. They also deal with hearing problems, and by law must have a degreed Audiologist on staff. Often the Audiologist will fit individuals needing a hearing aid at or near cost.


Someone there will also give you a current hearing test and adjust the aid as many times as needed. It may take a little longer since it is a teaching school, but you will be treated royally and save lots of money.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

2 More Questions

Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

August 4, 2011

My mom is 77 and is on small fixed income and she needs new dentures and hearing aids are there any grants out there for her?

By John W from St. Paul, MN


August 4, 20112 found this helpful
Best Answer

Check with your Department of Social Services and see if they know of any available help for your Mom. They also have a section in their office called Adult Services for Aging. I'm familiar with that because I am 71. They also help with homemaker services. I know here in SD, there is a department that helps people with dentures. I have a friend who got new dentures through them about a year ago, but I can't contact her right now, every now and then she becomes incommunicado, she does this once in awhile, when she wants to get away from everything.


Also check with your Easter Seal Office(the one in your area.) I know at one time people could donate hearing aids to them and they would be refurbished and in turn loaned/given out. They weren't the real fancy little ones, but they did work.

Reply Was this helpful? 2

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 472 Feedbacks
August 5, 20111 found this helpful
Best Answer

Definitely check with State agencies, I know that in Oklahoma, the State will cover the cost of hearing aids twice in the person's lifetime. My state has no such law, but who knows what you may find. I'd also call doctor's offices, audiologists, etc, since they may be aware of where to call for info.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
Answer this Question

August 31, 2011

My husband's parents are 89 and 90 years old and badly in need of hearing aids. They are on a low income ($1000.00 a month). We tried the American Legion with no response and Medicare does not cover them. Our question is, does anyone have any other suggestions? Please reply if you know someone we could contact. Thank you for your concern.

By Helen R


August 31, 20110 found this helpful

Easter Seals used to do this, I don't know if they still do. When they do have hearing aids that people can get, most of the time they aren't the fancy little ones that are popular now.


These are larger ones that people have donated, and they have been refurbished. Call an Easter Seals office in your area and ask about this.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 2, 20111 found this helpful

You can go to Radioshack or any electronics store such as that and get an electronic earpiece. My boyfriend has one. He can now hear someone whisper on the other side of the room, before he turned the tv up so loud that no one could stand to be in the room with him watching tv. It looks like a blue tooth for a cell phone. He said it cost him about $20. It will fit either ear.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
September 2, 20110 found this helpful

AARP has a hearing care program with hearusa a 20% member discount. It depends on the state that they live in if available. Hope this helps.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 6, 20110 found this helpful

I don't know where you live but, here in NC there is a state program that will provide one hearing aid every 7 years for an individual who qualifies. The audiology offices know about it and I expect if you have something similar, your audiologists would know as well.


I believe it is through the DHHS of the state. Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Diamond Feedback Medal for All Time! 1,394 Feedbacks
September 12, 20110 found this helpful

There are a couple of avenues you may want to explore. Your county Area Agency on Aging first, of course. They can help these dear folks with more than just hearing aids. My hubby gets, among other things, a Medicaid card. That pays for anything Medicare doesn't cover. It's been a great blessing because our combined income is pretty low, not much over $1500/month, even with me bringing in a little extra doing B2B marketing calls.


If either or both are veterans, try your local Veterans' Affairs office or Veterans' Administration medical center. Hubby gets most of his medical care free due to our income level, and that included his hearing aid. God bless...

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question
Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersNovember 24, 2013
Father's Day Ideas!
Mother's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-05-03 11:58:46 in 4 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.