How to Clean a Washing Machine

What can I use to clean the inside of my washing machine? The tub is stained brown.

By Karyn from Shrewsbury, MA

Answers

February 5, 2010 Flag

I work at a Volunteer Fire Department and our washing machine is dirty inside where the clothes are washed. We wash our fire gear, medical gear, towels, and uniforms in it. The stains are also located well above the water line. What to do?

Fire Dept in OH

Answers:

How to Clean a Washing Machine

Try filling the machine with hot water, then add two cups of chlorine bleach and a cup of baking soda. Then let it run through a complete wash and rinse cycle. If nothing else, this will disinfect the machine. (07/17/2005)

By Joankay

How to Clean a Washing Machine

Use lacquer thinner, pour a small amount on soft cloth. I promise this will work. Remember this is (extremely flammable ) suggest you open all windows before you start cleaning your washing machine.

Good luck. (07/17/2005)

By Colleen

How to Clean a Washing Machine

Try white vinegar. I would use a whole gallon bottle first. Don't put in any water, but let the vinegar soak in the tub for maybe 30 minutes. If you see a difference, then buy more vinegar and soak the whole thing. You could put in some baking soda also for the scrubbing action. (07/17/2005)

By Sandy

How to Clean a Washing Machine

For various cleaning jobs I try these two products: Goo Gone for sticky, greasy substances and Bar Keepers Friend for stains. I think the Bar Keepers Friend would help by applying it as a paste mixture and letting stand 5-15 minutes then scrubbing with a scouring pad. (07/18/2005)

By lambitious

How to Clean a Washing Machine

I just cleaned mine out today, as a matter of fact. It had a sour smell with lots of grass and mud streaks in the tub of it (my kids try to help load the washer for mommy sometimes). All I did was pour nothing, but about 2 1/2 cups of Clorox bleach in, and run a regular cycle. Wah lah! Clean and fresh washer. Simple and cheap.

Good luck guys. We are all appreciative and are thankful for the hard work and sacrifices you make doing your selfless work of helping people.
May God Bless you and protect you.
(07/21/2005)

By Joelen

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 5, 2010
A load of red dyed clothing in a front loader washing machine.
Dyeing Clothing in the Washing Machine
Man Repairing a Washing Machine
Repairing a Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
🎉
🎄