Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

Can someone tell me what to put in my flower beds to keep my doggy from digging?

By Laurie from Portland, OR

Just place moth crystals in your garden area in a small tin. Animals hate the smell and will not bother going into the area. I used this method with Porcupines in my trees. Placed moth crystals around the base of the tree, and voila, no more Porcupines. Works for rabbits, cats, dogs, and any other small animal that may be a problem in your garaden.

March 19, 2011 Flag

Would anyone have advice on how to keep a dog from digging in the flower beds? My daughter has a dog and he always digs into my flowers to get cooled off under the flowering shrubs.

Hope you can help.
Thank you.

By Emma from Moncton, NB

Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

Cayenne pepper sprinkled where they usually dig. They will dig once and will more than likely not do it again! (06/02/2010)

By hcannon

Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

Hot pepper sauce and moth balls should stop the digging, good luck. (06/02/2010)

By kffrmw88

Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

If you or a friend has rose bushes, save all the longer pieces of prunings and put them under the bushes. Just don't forget about them if you need to dig under there! (It is also a good deterrent if cats decide to use your garden as a litter box.) (06/02/2010)

By Jilson

June 2, 2010 Flag

I have two dogs and they keep digging in my flower garden, does anyone know how I can stop them?

Becky from West Palm Beach, FL

Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

Moth balls or crystals sprinkled around the perimeter of the beds might help. Most animals (including snakes and bugs) can't stand the smell. I put the balls around the outside of my house to keep away snakes, mice, ants, etc. (We live in the boonies!) They do not seem to affect the grass or shrubs, but I don't how they would affect flowers if placed too close to them. Never thought about it until just now, but we have three dogs, and they have not dug any holes where the moth balls are. (05/10/2006)

By Reba Gayle

Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

There are many reasons why dogs dig, the main being boredom. There is very little you can do to train a dog not to dig once he has the habit. You would be better off redesigning your garden around your dog.

Here is a training tip:

For dedicated diggers, provide an "acceptable digging area". Choose an area of the yard where it's okay for your dog to dig, and cover that area with loose soil or sand. If you catch your dog digging in an unacceptable area, interrupt the behavior with a loud noise and say, "no dig". Then immediately take the dog to his designated digging area. When he digs in the approved spot, reward him with praise. Make the unacceptable digging spots unattractive (at least temporarily) by setting rocks or chicken wire into the dirt. Make the acceptable area attractive by burying safe items for him to discover. (05/10/2006)

Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

Whenever someone has a animal or other pest problem the old moth ball myth answer pops up. Moth balls do nothing to deter the problem. Humans are the ones who dislike the smell of moth balls. I would try a vet, look for an answer at the library, or check out answer on Google. (05/11/2006)

By Dean

Dogs Digging In My Flower Garden

My Pyrenees puppy had taken to digging in all of my outside potted plants. I decided to sprinkle crushed red peppers in the pots and she hasn't gotten into them since. Not sure if the pepper is the reason or not, but might be worth a try. (05/12/2006)

By Deb

Pets Dogs Training AdviceMarch 19, 2011
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Flower Garden
Planting a Flower Garden
Flower Girl Smiling in Front of Bride and Groom
Frugal Flower Girl Tips
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden