Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

SOS Pad Stained Toilet

Our cleaning lady used an SOS pad inside the toilet, and now there are gray stains! I let it soak twice with toilet bowl cleaner and scrubbed, and it helped a little, but is still there. What can I do to remove the stains? It's grayish and you can see where she was scrubbing. Any help is appreciated!

Mary from Spokane, WA

By

By Shellzie02/26/2014

Vinegar works like a charm! Thank goodness! I was worried I was going to have to buy my landlady a new tub...

By realhawaiian09/22/2013

The vinegar did work. Oh thank you God! I was just in one of my OCD moments was grossed out by my boyfriend's stained toilet and was horrified at the result. There was no comet, ajax, barkeeper's friend nothing else to clean it but an SOS pad. He had vinegar in his pantry and it worked like a charm. Thank you who ever you are who posted the vinegar suggestion! What a relief!

By Sue Woost05/09/2009

It's quite possible that Bar Keeper's Friend will do the job; it works like a champ with metal scratches from plumbers snakes. Just shake about 1/8 cup in the water and wait a few hours. Actually, when I did it I forgot so it was overnight. When I opened up the lid I was completely amazed- didn't have to flush and I was looking at a gleaming white bowl!

By JJ (Guest Post)12/12/2008

I had a cleaning crew come yesterday and they used an SOS pad on my enamel coated steel tub, now it has gray scratch marks all over it. When I noticed it, they said it was there when they started, (it wasn't grey when they started it was badly dirt stained because it has a non-slip surface on the bottom (hate that)). Now what do I do?

Is there anything to try before calling someone to resurface the tub? I'm so mad, I don't know why they would use an SOS pad on anything they SCRATCH all surfaces. Do they really think, I rather have a scratched surface than a dirty or stained one?

Cleaning professionals, help me out here, this crew obviously does not know how to clean things without damaging things.

By William (Guest Post)05/29/2008

This works - as long as you didn't scratch the porcelain ( I know it looks like YOU DID) - I was so worried - but THE WORKS (it's a frothy cleaner tub and shower cleaner) took it out so easily. It looks like it was scratched but this cleaner removed it!

By melissa (Guest Post)07/17/2007

this exact thing happens to my white porcelain sinks. use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with comet cleanser and the gray will scrub out.

By natty J (Guest Post)06/29/2007

I have a house cleaning buz. myself and one day I notices scatches on one of my client's Porcelain tub. I sprayed some Grease Lighting cleaner, let it soak for about 3-5 minutes, then I scubbed really hard with a Mr. clean magic eraser and then I cleaned with w/dawn soap to make it shine.

By Lynda (Guest Post)06/19/2007

Believe it or not, Rust remover for clothing will WORK on metal scratches on porcelain. God bless you. : )

By Carol Churchill [18]06/18/2007

The only guaranteed product is Spirit of Salts! I moved into a house with a toilet so dirty I assumed I would never be able to clean it properly. I put in two cups of Spirits of Salts, let it sit for two hours, flushed and scrubbed out with toilet cleaner. The toilet is as new, without any damage. Make sure to ventilate VERY WELL.

By Ashley [1]06/18/2007

Babbie: There was a stubborn ring in the rear of the toilet...however, I already was planning to use a pumice stone to get rid of it. I believe that's what she was trying to get rid of. I was very worried because our place is a rental and I do not want to have to pay for a new toilet when we move! Also, I did try ajax, lysol toilet bowl cleaner, bleach, mold/mildew remover and none of it worked, until I used the vinegar.

By Ashley [1]06/18/2007

I read somewhere else to try a copper brillo pad. FYI - doesn't work. Made a few little marks. I then had some vinegar so I just poured it in there and let it soak, occasionally using the toilet brush and a sponge to wipe the areas. It worked!! It was actual stains because the longer it soaked, the dark particles left behind by the steel wool were at the bottom of the toilet. Thank you everyone!

Oh, and FYI, no, I am not asking her to come back to clean! It was her 2nd time cleaning here. Who uses an SOS pad to clean a toilet??!

By Babette [33]06/18/2007

I am a cleaning lady; the gray in your toilet is the same as a pot marks in your kitchen sink, you can use Barkeeper's Friend (works excellent on rust) comet or any of your other household cleansers.
What was she trying to clean in your toilet that she had used SOS?
BABBIE

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]06/18/2007

Do you still use that cleaning lady? I would complain to her for ruining your toilet. Maybe she can figure out how to get rid of the stains but it may be that it is scratched rather than stained. I'd be very mad. I never heard of using an SOS pad to clean a toilet.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]06/18/2007

I'd use some Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami cleaner and use it on a sponge and scrub the grey places. It may just rub out.

Susan from ThriftyFun

By Janet (Guest Post)06/18/2007

You may have to live with grey stains or replace the toilet. The SOS pad may have scratched the finish beyond repair.

We had a tub that the previous owners used abrasive cleaners on. The glaze was damaged. We painted it with Klenk's Tub paint. (Tons of preparation work involved there... I have dreams of sanding that tub.) That worked for about two years, until the paint was chipped by a sharp, heavy object. I'm not sure if Klenk's would work in a toilet, however, exposed to water continuously.

You can also get tubs professionally resurfaced. It probably wouldn't pay to resurface a toilet (I don't think they're that pricey) unless it is a particularly amazing toilet!

By Michelle, From Ohio (Guest Post)06/18/2007

I was looking on the internet how to get rid of urine stain on my 2 yr. old sons potty chair. They said to use straight vinegar. Well needless to say, over time the potty chair stunk of urine even with regular cleaning. I filled up the chair enough to cover the bottom of base with vinegar and the rest hot water. Let it set over night and urine stains and smell of urine gone. I tried that on the big toilet then again the urine around the toilet (from my 3 yr. boy) got rid of the smell and stains. The vinegar smell is not nice but it does do the job. Maybe this might help all you can do is try. Have a good one.

By ShellyE (Guest Post)06/18/2007

You might try a pumice stone for toilets. Wal*Mart sells them for less than $2.00. Good luck!

By Teresa (Guest Post)06/18/2007

Mary,
Are you sure that it's stained and not the enamal scratched off by using the SOS pad.

Teresa from Va.

By Karryn [1]06/18/2007

I would try bicarb soda on a damp cloth or magic eraser.

By SL Edens [1]06/16/2007

Have you tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser? Certainly worth a try.