Remedies for Stinky Feet

Avoiding unpleasant odor and embarrassment when removing your footwear, can be accomplished. This guide is about remedies for stinky feet.

March 2, 2011 Flag

When smelly feet were brought up at a recent podiatry appointment for a man, the doctor told the wife that feet have sweat glands too. Foot odor can be helped. He advised her to use spray deodorant on them. She bought deodorant and the smell subsided from the feet. The amount you use can be controlled if you need more or less. Washing your shoes often will also cut down on smelly feet.

By Gem from VA

Great, lot of people have smelly feet. Great Idea.

Great advice as usual, Gem. I'm so glad I have machine-washable slippers!

May 29, 2012 Flag

Keep an inexpensive container of solid deodorant where you first put on your shoes in the morning. Just quickly rub the deodorant stick over the bottom of your feet (soles and toes), before putting on your socks or shoes. This keeps feet, socks, and shoes free of odor. And you'll never be embarrassed to take off your shoes. All you'll smell is a pleasant deodorant scent.

By Steph from Cincinnati, OH

June 19, 2013 Flag

I have visited my doctor more than five times. I used different treatments such as: Ketoconazole cream and shampoo, Itraconazole tablets for a month, and clotrimazole cream and powder for a long time. In addition to this, I would change my shoes and socks a couple of times very day; I washed my feet two times a day. But I didn't get any solution. It smells even with in an open shoe. So please I need your experience.

By Solomon B

My partner suffered from this problem as well and I treated it with cotton swabs dipped in Tea Tree Oil. This was applied once daily at bedtime and has done the job for him. Fungicides didn't do the job! Good luck.

Years ago the military used boric acid in their foot powder for stinky feet. If you take a tablespoon of boric acid powder and mix with a quart of water,then put in a spray bottle. Wash your feet before bed or after work. Sit down some where you can put your feet up, spray your feet (top and bottom) and let them dry completely. This should take about a week.

This has worked for two people I know that had smelly feet so bad they never took their shoes off until they got in the shower. One person had 3 pairs of work shoes. One to wear, one in the washer and one drying. His boss was so excited about the spay he told me "I don't care how much that stuff costs. Order him a big drum of it I'll pay for it."

June 12, 2012 Flag

I went to a foot doctor with my stinky feet. He gave me prescription for an antifungal to rub on the bottom of my feet. He also said if my feet ever stink again to put underarm deodorant before putting your socks on.

March 21, 2014 Flag

My feet smell bad. I think that it is because of sweating too much on my feet. I have tried different medications and home remedies, but it is not working. What do you advise me to do? Thanks.

By David from VA

Make sure you always start your day with clean socks. Make sure you keep at least 2 pair of shoes, so one can dry while the other is being worn. Since foot odor is the problem, never wear your shoes without socks unless they are open, like sandals. If your shoes are washable, wash and air dry them fairly frequently.

Most sneakers are washable even if it isn't stated on the label or box, leather dress shoes usually aren't washable. Wear natural materials as much as possible-leather, suede, fabrics; NO plastics, vinyls, polyurethane, etc, they do not allow your feet to breathe. Your shoes don't have to be expensive-these days you can find great ones for a fair price-just look at materials labels before you buy. You have one pair of feet, take care of them. Oh, and foot soaks in black tea or vinegar in a basin of comfortably hot water are known to help. I hope this info helps!

Brew strong tea, cool, then soak your feet in this; it will help with the sweat problem, which may help with the odor problem. It's a cheap solution that works for many. Secondly, my friend's son was allergic to dairy. Whenever he ate dairy, his feet stank to high heaven. When he abstained from it, he had no foot odor. Do you have any food allergies?

May 21, 2011 Flag

After I take my shoes off my feet and shoes smell awful. It stinks up the whole house. What can I do?

By Sue K.

Just sprinkle baby powder inside your shoes before you put them on each day. Your feet won't smell ever again.

Check the type of socks you wear. My husband's foot odor was eliminated when we switched him to cotton socks. After experimenting he can wear socks that are at least 80% cotton mixed with other materials but not more than 5% nylon. Spandex doesn't seem to be a problem but still, the more natural fabric, the better. Oh yeah, the new socks made of bamboo work well, too and they wear like iron! Also, try to wear shoes made from breathable materials when possible. Plastic or vinyl shoes just hold in moisture and promote odors.

July 29, 2011 Flag

To remedy stinky toes, soak your feet in a pail of warm black tea many times. Wear sandals and air your feet.

December 16, 2010 Flag

My feet stink even after a shower, scrub, and massage, nothing helps?

By crazy eddiy

A friend once told me "Zinc if you stink!". I'm not sure if it works but it's safe to try it!

I tried Pedisolix from germany anti foot odor product. Its realy amazing. 1 Appl. last up to 4 Month.

June 2, 2012 Flag

My feet will stink at work even though I change shoes every day. They stink more with my shoes on and most of the time my shoes and socks don't stink at the end of the day. I suspect it is an internal problem. What can I do?

By Art

My girlfriend's son had this problem. It turned out he had a dairy allergy. When he cuts all dairy from his diet, the problem goes away. If his feet stink, his family knows he had some ice cream!

I read on a web site just a few days ago about this. Wash your feet and dry with a clean towel. When dry rub with stick deodorant bottoms, tops, and between toes. The person writing the article said it worked fine. Worth a try and it is inexpensive.

March 2, 2011 Flag

Stinky feet? I use the same deodorant that I use under my arms on my feet. It does the same thing. I like the spray type best for under the arms and feet.

Source: Me, I am cheap and have smelly feet.

By Gingerlilymay from New York, NY

Answers:

Solution for Stinky Feet

I use spray deodorant to keep my feet dry and to keep them from sticking to sandals and flip flops in the summertime. Works like a charm! (01/07/2008)

By kelynsh

Solution for Stinky Feet

Amen! I've been doing this for years. It always gives me a laugh when I see a recommendation to use some expensive specialty spray or powder on sweaty feet, when regular old underarm deodorant works just as well for a fraction of the cost. Of course, it lacks the antifungal agents of the foot sprays, but if you keep your feet dry and don't go barefoot in public places, you won't need an antifungal. And underarm deodorant is available in whatever scent you want -- or no scent at all. (01/07/2008)

By chretienne

Solution for Stinky Feet

Yep! I do the same for my daughter as boot season can be smelly! Some on her feet and away she goes! (01/07/2008)

By michawnpita

Solution for Stinky Feet

I was just watching Dr Oz on Opra. He suggests having a foot bath with warm water and teabags. The teabags have tannin in them that eliminates the odor. A guest was on the show that verified this works. (01/07/2008)

By Pennypacer

Solution for Stinky Feet

LOL! cracks me up - but cool tip! thanks! (01/07/2008)

By Lily 59

Solution for Stinky Feet

Bad case of smelly feet? I would call this remedy a CURE. Soak your feet in warm water to which you have added about 1 ounce of "DETTOL" You can find this at most pharmacies or even some grocery stores.
Add about one ounce of dettol to approximately 2 or 3 gallons of warm water in the foot bath . Soak for 1/2 hour or so. Clean toenails thoroughly.

I wiped out All his shoes in the inside with a strong solution of Dettol. And then I gathered up ALL his socks and washed them in the washing machine--again with dettol in the water. I had to do this again 3 or 6 months later, but guess what? This was several years ago, and no problem since. Good Luck! (01/11/2008)

By bbleackley

Solution for Stinky Feet

Just read about using BodyMint from BodyMint.com or trying Chlorophyll supplementsfrom health-food stores of drugstores. The best buy howerve, was Now Chlorphyll 100mg $10 for 90 capsules from the health food store. (01/19/2008)

By Deb

Solution for Stinky Feet

I have tried teabags, deodorant, everything. It just doesn't work. I need help. It's affecting my life. (02/28/2008)

By nuraan

Solution

How can they not smell their own feet smelling so bad. It is awful, almost too much to bear. I am going to try all the above. I will let you know in a few days. Thanks for the suggestions. (03/28/2008)

By Nell

Solution for Stinky Feet

i know this is several months later, but I just read this thread. My father in law had the same problem and soaks his feet in Listerine mouth wash. Use the regular. If you use the blue, it will turn your skin blue. It cures everything. I get the off brand and it works the same on my husband. If you do it several days in a row, when your feet start feeling cool, it means that the fungus is gone and it is working. Revives the feet too!! My husband just uses the same bowl of stuff, don't dump it out as it kills the bacteria and fungus (10/24/2008)

By moekelly24

Solution for Stinky Feet

I was told that foot and shoe odor is caused by bacteria and microbes. It took me almost 10 years to really get rid of this problem. For a long time I thought it wasn't really possible and that I had to live with it. This is how I solved it:

1. I use antibacterial soap to wash my feet twice a day.

2. I buy high quality shoes that I clean and vent.

3. And as of recently, I kill all the bacteria inside the shoe with UV light using a shoe tree that emits UV light to kill 100% of the bacteria. (02/21/2010)

By johncarpenter

December 16, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a remedy for feet that stink.

November 14, 2010 Flag

Are there any concoctions out there for smelly feet while in the shoes?

Load More
Health & Beauty AdviceMay 31, 2012
Dog's paw, showing pads.
Remedies for Your Pet's Dry Feet
Sweating Feet
Remedies for Sweating Feet
Smelly Dog Paw
Remedy for Smelly Dog Feet
dry heel on foot
Home Remedies for Dry or Cracked Feet
🎄