Removing Skunk Odor from Dog

My 12 pound dog was sprayed by a skunk tonight. Immediately, I put baby powder all over him. That's all I had at the moment. I figured that would soak up the skunk oil. I ran to the store and picked up baking soda, peroxide, and dish detergent (Cascade). Most websites claimed that this would be the best solution. So, I washed him in that, but he still stinks.

He was sprayed on the left side of the face and down the neck area. I was careful not to get the mixture in his ears, eyes, or mouth. I don't know what else to do he still stinks badly! Does Murphy's oil soap really work on dogs and is it safe? I know skunk spray is an oil so it's tough to get out. Help please.

By Lauren D.

Best Answer

Big handful of bulk douche powder in a gallon of water. Pour and soak.

Best Answer

Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 to 2 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap (not Cascade), which is a good degreaser. Wash dog immediately with this mixture, leave it on the dog for at least 5 minutes or until the odor is gone, then rinse. If the dog was heavily saturated with skunk spray, then you may need to repeat the wash. The tomato paste/sauce wash works, but not instantly. It will take about 12 hours for the smell to go away. I had to wash my cat this way last spring and yes it does work. There will be a light odor, but very livable, when their coats get damp for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Best Answer

Skunk Odor Neutralizer (You may have heard on BON-CC-41, same product, new name!) from BioWorld works the best! The Peroxide method will only work to an extent and not good for pets who have been sprayed around the face. Tomato Juice will only mask the odors (your nose just picks up the tomato but others will still notice the skunk). Many other commercial skunk treatments are alcohol based and can dry out your dogs skin,

Skunk Odor Neutralizer is natural and plant based. Safe to use on the dogs face (be careful around the eyes but a washcloth on the face and in the ears works great). It won't dry out your pets skin. Use dawn dish soap with the odor neutralizer for a degreaser to remove the skunk oils. Both should work great together! If the dog gets wet, the odor may return but just spray the odor neutralizer on your dog and that should help!

http://www.bioworldusa.com/household/odor-remover/skunk

Lauren,

I'm sorry about your pooch. Mine got skunked a couple of years ago. My vet said to never use detergent based soaps on dogs. It dries out their skin and makes it worse for the dog. The skunk oil can't be washed out anyway. The only thing you can do is cover up the smell until it evaporates on its own which can take weeks.

I used a product called Skunk Off shampoo by Thornell (www.thornell.com) and it worked great. It's non-irritating so you can use it every day (as directed).I highly recommend trying it.It was worth every (s)cent! :) Good luck.

Rick in East Grand Rapids, MI

When our dogs got skunked, my friend said to use either tomato puree or tomato paste (not sauce). Takes the odor away. Soak into the animal's fur, rubbing it in deeply, and then give the dog a bath.

Tomato juice is supposed to work just put him in a tub and bath him in it I would let it on him for a few min.and rinse and repeat if necessary it wont hurt him.

So sorry for you as we have had that happen several times. We always use the baking soda and straight peroxide. You have to really soak and leave it on a few minutes and most of the time do it a second time. Each time the stink becomes less and less. We have been sucessful with this remedy numerous times on our Blue Tick Hound. She must be the "skunk hunter".

Hi sweetie, try Dawn dish washing soap ok? God Bless.

First soak with tomato paste and then wash and rinse well with a shampoo formulated for dogs. In a pinch use Dawn dish soap but use a doggie approved conditioner after using the Dawn. I don't think I would want to risk using hydrogen peroxide on my baby and especially on the face area.

P.S. Your baby is adorable! :-)

I had the same experience. I tried the mix you tried, didn't work. Tried tomato juice, no result. Bought enzyme skunk cleaner from hardware store, no luck. As one poster said here, time is the only thing that gets rid of it. You have my sympathy. Cute dog, BTW. I did use an eye wash to get the stuff out of the dog's eyes. It was a horrible experience.

I have heard, but haven't tried, to give the dog a bath in tomato juice. It's worth a try!

If you haven't killed the poor dog yet why not just call a vets office and they will tell you if you or they have to take the odor out and how. Even on Sunday someone is in the office and usually will be glad to help you.

Bathe in tomato juice.

A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Dog
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 10, 2011
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk On white Background
Removing Skunk Odor From Carpet
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄