Allergic Reactions to New Carpet

We need new wall to wall carpeting installed through our entire house, living room and 3 bedrooms. I've read that new manufactured carpets contain chemicals. Has any one ever had an allergic reaction to new carpeting? When would be the best time of year to have this work done?

Marge from NY

I have mild asthma & have had asthma attacks & hives from being around new carpet. My aunt had a really horrible allergic reaction from the chemicals in her new carpet & had to go to the ER to be treated-she had to have the carpet removed before she could go home!

I've heard that you can ask the carpet people to unroll the carpet in their warehouse & let it "breathe" & relaease the chemicals for a few days before installing.

We installed new carpet in our living room ourselves a few years back. It made me cough just to smell it on the roll. We layed it out in our driveway for the whole day & I didn't have any problem with it after it was installed except some mild coughing.

If you are very concerned with allergies related to carpet, there are many products on the market that can help.

1. What actually causes the problem is not the carpet but the adhesives. Clearly state to the carpet installer that you have severe allergic reactions and need a non-VOC emitting adhesive.

2. There are several varieties of "green" carpet available on the market now. I highly recommend them because they don't use so many chemicals in the dye. Ask for a carpet that is usable for LEED points and the carpet salespeople should understand what you mean.

3. If you have any trouble with the carpet sellers, consult your local interior designer. For a small upcharge, they should be able to purchase and arrange for the installation of your carpet to LEED standards, which should guarantee less allergic reactions.

4. The other thing that my work usually recommends is to open the windows and make sure the rooms are properly ventilated for the first week or so that the carpet is well ventilated. If you close up the room, the carpet giving off the chemicals will build until they are at toxic levels - and no one wants that! Use as many fans and open windows as you can.

Hope that helps!

It is best to have it done when your house can be opened up for good airing out. Run your vacuum daily to get the excess fluffies out of it too. Definitely check to see if the maker or installer can air it out prior to installing as well. GOOD LUCK!

When I built this house in 1971, wall to wall carpeting was popular. So I had it installed over the top of the hardwood floors that came with my house. I removed the 2nd set of wall to wall carpeting several years ago and am just thrilled with my hardwood floors! I'll NEVER have wall to wall carpeting again! The flooring is MUCH easier to care for and the house isn't as dusty and dirty as it was with carpeting. You just can't wash your carpets every week or daily. But you can just run your Swiffer mop over the floors and the house is tidy and clean. You'll never get that buildup of dust near the baseboards either. Please consider one of the newer floors. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You can have allergic reactions to new carpets. I just had new carpets installed in my house 1 week ago, and since then I've been having the buzzing feeling all over like you need to scratch, I've also been getting huge hives that show up in patches anywhere I scratch. As well my hands, feet, and legs have been swelling up so bad that its literally painful to touch anything. Just tonight I thought I had it under control, so didn't watch where I touched. Now I've got hives all over my arms, legs, chest, and face, and my lips are swollen up.

If you start feeling any of these after having new carpets installed then right away go get some benedryl, open up the windows, run the fans, keep covered, and DO NOT scratch yourself or touch your face. After a little while of scratching the area gets inflamed and soon starts burning. Calamine lotion doesn't stop the itch. If you ignore these symptoms (which is very hard) you can be in a lot of pain and in need of seeing a doctor.

Sorry to freak anyone out, but I feel people should know.

Hope this helped

Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetSeptember 18, 2007
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Hot Chocolate
Allergic Reaction from Hot Chocolate
Woman Using Facial Wipe
Allergic Reaction to Facial Wipe