Advantix Caused an Allergic Reaction

Category Fleas
This is a guide about Advantix causing an allergic reaction. While affective in combating fleas, the chemicals in topical flea treatments can cause mild to severe allergic reactions in pets. It is important to monitor your pet after application and you should contact your vet if you notice any concerning symptoms.

I applied one pipet each to both my Jack Russels. This was applied around 5pm in the afternoon. Later that evening towards 9pm I noticed that they were doing a lot of ear twitching, both of them and sometimes head shaking, but not so much. This is most unusual for them. We decided to wash it off at this hour as best as possible. I now know this is an allergic reaction to Premetherin (one of the products in Advantix). I hate this product and will never use it again on my furbabies! What I want to know is does anyone know for how long this will affect them like this? How soon will it be out of their system?

Answers

Best Answer

About 5-10 days for a reaction to premetherin to go away usually although it is effective for up to 71 days. By the way, it is made from mums (yes, the plant). So, you may want to keep your dogs away from mums as well. Normally which a reaction, each exposure is worse than the one before it. So, avoid the plant as well.

According to vetary.com, mild symptoms should clear up in a day or two. Severe symptoms require topical treatment to prevent infection. A call to the vet is in order.

Anonymous

Thank you for your response. No mums in my garden so not that for sure. Today is only day four so will monitor.

I did take them to the vet but she did not believe it to be a reaction to Advantix! I know however it is.

Thank you for your response. It isn't mild, I guess, it is day four now. It is only ear twitching so I can't really apply any ointment. I will, however, check out this website.