Browsing: Homemade Flea Trap

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Flea Trap

Fleas are a horrible nuisance to have around your home. get rid of these tiny pests with a homemade flea trap. This is a guide about making a homemade flea trap.

Flea on a white background.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 6, 2011 Flag

Materials

• short extension cord
  • pie pan or small bowl
  • night light with Christmas type light
  • water
  • dish soap

Instructions:

Place a small amount of dish soap in the pie pan or bowl, and add enough water so fleas will not be able to swim out (about 1/2 inch). Fasten extension cord with night light plugged in so they extend out over the water. SECURE THE ELECTRIC CORD SO IT WILL NOT FALL INTO WATER.

Let this be the only light on at night. If you have small children, this will have to be removed in the day while they are awake. If no children this will even work in the day time just not as well.

The soap in the water will keep your animals from drinking the water, refresh the water and soap as needed. If this works for you like it did me, you will not be able to count all the dead fleas, and it should save you a few dollars. Also if it works for you, save others some money, and pass the tip on.

By SAVAGE12755 from Tulsa, OK

August 15, 2012 Flag

This is a video I saw on youtube that I would like to share with you. You take a cookie sheet and put water and a couple of squirts of soap in it. Then put it somewhere out of sight, like under the bed.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

July 14, 2015 Flag

We had a dog that we took in while his parents were busy with moving house. He slept in our garage/laundry room. Soon after the dog was gone, I went into the room to do some laundry and was attacked by what I can only describe as an army of little black vampires.

I read online about a product called "The Ultimate Flea Trap" which basically used a night light and some sticky pads. "Well," I thought to myself "I am probably going to have to one up that one." I brought in my huge bug zapper, and some sticky tile, which I turned upside down. The little demons were indeed drawn to the light and heat of the zapper, and alas, after an hour or so, we had a small army of the blood suckers, cozily attached to the sticky tiles and not jumping about happily sucking us dry.

I will check back tomorrow, and let you know if the lil' darlins' are indeed gone. My freezer is also in this space, and it would be nice to be able to enter without wearing a space suit, and covered in insect repellent, and having to shed and leave my clothes outside! :)

Source: I saw a product , called "Ultimate Flea Trap"

August 29, 2004 Flag

I have a little 9 week chihuahua. When we got him he had no fleas, but I have a half german shepherd/husky that lives downstairs so I think he got it from him I was wondering what I can use and will not be harsh on the lil' chihuahua and what can I use for the dog that lives downstairs. I have wooden floors all through the house. What will be a good solution to use to clean the house where the dog has been. Ana

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I recently had the same problem with my cat! First of all use Frontline on both animals immediatley. I bought a 3 month supply on ebay pretty cheap. I did a lot of reseach online and found that people have had great results by first vacuuming the whole house (then put the vacuum bag in another bag in the freezer to kill and fleas in the bag). Then mix one part salt to 6 parts borax powder) and spread it all over your carpets. Somehow it kills them off. It worked really well for me. I had to repeat it a couple times and so far so good. You could research it online your self ..just type in "fleas and borax " and it will give you lots of info. That's what I did. I did try flea bombs and they did nothing. The borax & salt is the way to go.. believe me! Hope that helps you.. you have nothing to lose!

I was going to tell about the Dawn too. It is so Gentle it is used to wash Birds & Animals which have gotten into Oil Spills.

Also Mop your floors with it. We just put 1 small squirt in an old window cleaner bottle & fill with water. Then squirt it on the dog & wash outside with the hose.

We have an American bulldog & a daschund, also a Bunch of cats. some of whom are still here due to being bathed with the stuff & or many other dishwashing liquids, not the dishwasher kind, only the kind for washing dishes in the sink.

You don't need the Borax for the carpets either .The salt works just as well, is lots cheaper & if pets lick it off themselves they probably won't get sick. My bulldog ate some of the Borax & badly vomited .

I use Avon Skin So Soft also. Works great! I tried using Frontline on my Dog, but it gave him seizures. I am going to try Dawn, thanks for the adivce.

queaker

Diatomaceous earth works well especially around your home. I have too many pets to rub this into all the fur but use it in aquariums with hamsters, on guinea pigs/rabbit & ferrets. Just make sure it's the food safe type & not the type you use for a pool! I dust my floors then leave it for a few days & voila except for my many dogs & cats which I need to find a cheap remedy. Anybody ever hear of a remedy using insecticide like Bayer for the yard? It does have the same ingredients of advantage but I'm afraid of over dosing my 5 lb chihuahuas..anybody?? Thank you!!

Read More Answers...

November 6, 2007 Flag

Is it safe to use flea treatment on my dog with 1 week old pups and if so what? Pups have fleas but mom doesn't. Otherwise healthy.

Helen from Brisbane, Australia

I once used teatree oil mixed with water to help a two week old flea ridden abandoned kitten with great success. I would be reluctant to use commercial products at such a young age.

You can use johnson & johnson baby shampoo. Just apply it and gently rub from tail to head then let it stay for 2 to 5 minutes. After this comb out with flea comb then bath as usual. If it doesn't work you can use white distilled vinegar made from grain (MIZKAN - brand of the vinegar) is one of japan production. Just spray undiluted vinegar directly on the puppy and be careful for the eyes and nose then gently rub forward and let it stay for 3 to 5 minutes then rinse with warm water. After this bathe as usual using puppy's shampoo.

good luck!

from malaysia

Please don't use any insecticides on a nursing mother. Bath mom & pups with lavenderbaby shampoo. Immediately wet dogs neck & bum & lather shampoo thickly on both areas. Leave on & continue bathing. Rub shampoo onto dogs for at least 5 minutes. Otherwise some fleas will only be stunned & you would be amazed at their ability to stay on the dog & recover from the bath. Can also use diatamaceous earth as a light dusting powder on mom's back & legs, also on pups & or on pups bedding. Be sure to purchase FOOD GRADE diatamaceous earth. The type used on pools isn't the same as food grade!! I LOVE PUPPIES!!

Do NOT spray undiluted vinegar on your animals!!! It has the wrong PH balance and will burn their delicate skin! If you used it on an adult, it HAS to be diluted at least

50/50!

Read More Answers...

January 25, 2013 Flag

This trap uses: disposable container, like a baking pan water vinegar nightlight

June 9, 2005 Flag

If your home has fleas, put a shallow dish of water with a little dish soap under a night-lite at night. The fleas will jump into the water and drown. Fleas can't swim! :)

March 14, 2011 Flag

Put a shallow dish of water with a little dish soap under a night light at night. The fleas will jump into the water and drown. :)

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 28, 2011
Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
baby skunk and wildflowers
Removing a Skunk from a Live Trap
Leprechaun Trap
Leprechaun Trap Cake
Mouse Trap With Cheese
Best Bait for a Mouse Trap
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 1:02:36 AM on 10.0.1.53 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.