Homemade Flea Trap

Fleas are a horrible nuisance to have around your home. get rid of these tiny pests with a homemade flea trap. This is a guide about making a homemade flea trap.

August 15, 2012 Flag

This is a video I saw on youtube that I would like to share with you. You take a cookie sheet and put water and a couple of squirts of soap in it. Then put it somewhere out of sight, like under the bed.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

You can also take a night light (without the shade on it) and put a small dish of water under it and the next morning you will have gathered fleas. They go to the heat of the night light bulb and drown in the water.

Here's some to help.Shampoo - add one drop of either lgmsneraos and citronella essential oil to the shampoo (enough shampoo for one wash).Take an old piece of material (toweling is good) and soak it in a solution of warm water (one pint) and 4 drops of cedarwood or pine essential oil and rub dog all over with cloth. Soak a material collar in a solution of -1 drop cedarwood, 1 drop lavender, 1 drop citronella, 1 drop thymemix. This with a little olive oil or almond oil. Put collar on dog to wear as normal. These are all for keeping ticks and fleas at bay. Once the dog actually has ticks, try this - 30mls of olive oil mixed with 10 mls of lavender and 10 mls of St. johns wort (this is hard to get hold of so if not available use tea tree). Massage this blend over ticks and they should drop off within about 10 minutes.

Catch the little blighters and burn em! LOL! This can also be used as a preventative measure, massaging on the dog regularly.ADD-ON. Found another one. These are pure essential oils keep them away from dogs they will last for ages:21 drops of Geranium, 14 drops of Lavender, 21 drops of Eucalyptus, 14 drops of Tea Tree. Mix in a plant sprayer with 250-300 mils of warm water and spray your dog while you groom not only will he/she smell wonderful but the insects hate it.

The fleas are drawn to the light. A cool LED night light will draw them just as well, and use much less electricity to run all night.

June 6, 2011 Flag

Materials

• short extension cord
  • pie pan or small bowl
  • night light with Christmas type light
  • water
  • dish soap

Instructions:

Place a small amount of dish soap in the pie pan or bowl, and add enough water so fleas will not be able to swim out (about 1/2 inch). Fasten extension cord with night light plugged in so they extend out over the water. SECURE THE ELECTRIC CORD SO IT WILL NOT FALL INTO WATER.

Let this be the only light on at night. If you have small children, this will have to be removed in the day while they are awake. If no children this will even work in the day time just not as well.

The soap in the water will keep your animals from drinking the water, refresh the water and soap as needed. If this works for you like it did me, you will not be able to count all the dead fleas, and it should save you a few dollars. Also if it works for you, save others some money, and pass the tip on.

By SAVAGE12755 from Tulsa, OK

I do not have fleas but I had some of those pesky plant gnats. I went to my daughter's for a week and left some soapy water in the sink, actually I forgot to drain it. When I came home, I had about 12 of those gnats in it. So there is another suggestion for someone with that problem.

I have used this method for years...the reason for the soap is so the fleas will sink to to bottom of the bowl and won't be able to bounce off the water when they drop. The light attracts them and then they fall in to the soapy water :) you're right, you won't be able to count them in the morning.

Diametricious earth works really great. Put the powder in edges of room & also on the dog. It will kill them quickly. Then just vacuum up. Sprinkle in beds or areas the dog lies in. You can also sprinkle in food to stop parasites. Can be bought at tractor supply or feed stores.

Were you very careful to avoid inhaling or getting the Diatomaceous Earth in your eyes while applying it? I had gotten some, and there was a Warning about breathing it in or getting in the eyes of yourself or a pet. I was very upset that the business selling it did not post this warning in the description of the product.

I didn't not see the warning. I used my bare hands to sprinkle it around I covered my room and everything in it with this. My throat is very sore. Can only eat jello and stuff like that cause its so sore. My hands are really dried out and my skin is cracking around my nails. Not save to use

July 14, 2015 Flag

We had a dog that we took in while his parents were busy with moving house. Soon after the dog was gone, I went into the room to do some laundry and was attacked by what I can only describe as an army of little black vampires.

January 25, 2013 Flag

This trap uses: disposable container, like a baking pan water vinegar nightlight

August 29, 2004 Flag

I have a little 9 week chihuahua. When we got him he had no fleas, but I have a half german shepherd/husky that lives downstairs so I think he got it from him I was wondering what I can use and will not be harsh on the lil' chihuahua and what can I use for the dog that lives downstairs. I have wooden floors all through the house. What will be a good solution to use to clean the house where the dog has been. Ana

I live in South Carolina and boy do we have fleas! After spending a small fortune on flea killers, including purchasing everything on the market from my vet, I have found a really simple way to prevent flea infestations............ wash your animals with Dawn dish detergent, a little goes a long way, and believe it or not, it kills fleas instantly. To help prevent fleas from getting on your animals in the first place, rub their legs, belly, and under the neck with a small amount of Avon's Skin so Soft bath oil. Hope this works as well for you as it does for me!

I recently had the same problem with my cat! First of all use Frontline on both animals immediatley. I bought a 3 month supply on ebay pretty cheap. I did a lot of reseach online and found that people have had great results by first vacuuming the whole house (then put the vacuum bag in another bag in the freezer to kill and fleas in the bag). Then mix one part salt to 6 parts borax powder) and spread it all over your carpets. Somehow it kills them off. It worked really well for me. I had to repeat it a couple times and so far so good. You could research it online your self ..just type in "fleas and borax " and it will give you lots of info. That's what I did. I did try flea bombs and they did nothing. The borax & salt is the way to go.. believe me! Hope that helps you.. you have nothing to lose!

I was going to tell about the Dawn too. It is so Gentle it is used to wash Birds & Animals which have gotten into Oil Spills.

Also Mop your floors with it. We just put 1 small squirt in an old window cleaner bottle & fill with water. Then squirt it on the dog & wash outside with the hose.

We have an American bulldog & a daschund, also a Bunch of cats. some of whom are still here due to being bathed with the stuff & or many other dishwashing liquids, not the dishwasher kind, only the kind for washing dishes in the sink.

You don't need the Borax for the carpets either .The salt works just as well, is lots cheaper & if pets lick it off themselves they probably won't get sick. My bulldog ate some of the Borax & badly vomited .

I use Avon Skin So Soft also. Works great! I tried using Frontline on my Dog, but it gave him seizures. I am going to try Dawn, thanks for the adivce.

squeaker

Diatomaceous earth works well especially around your home. I have too many pets to rub this into all the fur but use it in aquariums with hamsters, on guinea pigs/rabbit & ferrets. Just make sure it's the food safe type & not the type you use for a pool! I dust my floors then leave it for a few days & voila except for my many dogs & cats which I need to find a cheap remedy. Anybody ever hear of a remedy using insecticide like Bayer for the yard? It does have the same ingredients of advantage but I'm afraid of over dosing my 5 lb chihuahuas..anybody?? Thank you!!

November 6, 2007 Flag

Is it safe to use flea treatment on my dog with 1 week old pups and if so what? Pups have fleas but mom doesn't. Otherwise healthy.

Helen from Brisbane, Australia

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please check with your veterinarian. I would assume flea treatments are too strong and possibly deadly for pups that young.

I once used teatree oil mixed with water to help a two week old flea ridden abandoned kitten with great success. I would be reluctant to use commercial products at such a young age.

You can use johnson & johnson baby shampoo. Just apply it and gently rub from tail to head then let it stay for 2 to 5 minutes. After this comb out with flea comb then bath as usual. If it doesn't work you can use white distilled vinegar made from grain (MIZKAN - brand of the vinegar) is one of japan production. Just spray undiluted vinegar directly on the puppy and be careful for the eyes and nose then gently rub forward and let it stay for 3 to 5 minutes then rinse with warm water. After this bathe as usual using puppy's shampoo.

good luck!

from malaysia

Please don't use any insecticides on a nursing mother. Bath mom & pups with lavenderbaby shampoo. Immediately wet dogs neck & bum & lather shampoo thickly on both areas. Leave on & continue bathing. Rub shampoo onto dogs for at least 5 minutes. Otherwise some fleas will only be stunned & you would be amazed at their ability to stay on the dog & recover from the bath. Can also use diatamaceous earth as a light dusting powder on mom's back & legs, also on pups & or on pups bedding. Be sure to purchase FOOD GRADE diatamaceous earth. The type used on pools isn't the same as food grade!! I LOVE PUPPIES!!

Do NOT spray undiluted vinegar on your animals!!! It has the wrong PH balance and will burn their delicate skin! If you used it on an adult, it HAS to be diluted at least

50/50!

June 9, 2005 Flag

If your home has fleas, put a shallow dish of water with a little dish soap under a night-lite at night. The fleas will jump into the water and drown. Fleas can't swim! :)

March 14, 2011 Flag

Put a shallow dish of water with a little dish soap under a night light at night. The fleas will jump into the water and drown. :)

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 28, 2011
Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
baby skunk and wildflowers
Removing a Skunk from a Live Trap
Leprechaun Trap
Leprechaun Trap Cake
Mouse Trap With Cheese
Best Bait for a Mouse Trap
🎉
🎄