Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Flea Trap

Flea on a white background.

Fleas are a horrible nuisance to have around your home. get rid of these tiny pests with a homemade flea trap. This is a guide about making a homemade flea trap.

Video: Video: Making an Inexpensive Flea Pool

This is a video I saw on youtube that I would like to share with you. You take a cookie sheet and put water and a couple of squirts of soap in it. Then put it somewhere out of sight, like under the bed.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Homemade Flea Trap

Materials

• short extension cord
  • pie pan or small bowl
  • night light with Christmas type light
  • water
  • dish soap

Instructions:

Place a small amount of dish soap in the pie pan or bowl, and add enough water so fleas will not be able to swim out (about 1/2 inch). Fasten extension cord with night light plugged in so they extend out over the water. SECURE THE ELECTRIC CORD SO IT WILL NOT FALL INTO WATER.

Let this be the only light on at night. If you have small children, this will have to be removed in the day while they are awake. If no children this will even work in the day time just not as well.

The soap in the water will keep your animals from drinking the water, refresh the water and soap as needed. If this works for you like it did me, you will not be able to count all the dead fleas, and it should save you a few dollars. Also if it works for you, save others some money, and pass the tip on.

By SAVAGE12755 from Tulsa, OK

Tip: Homemade Flea Trap

This trap uses:
disposable container, like a baking pan
water
vinegar
nightlight

Fill the pan half full with water. Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of vinegar and mix with water. Find a convenient outlet and plug in the night light. Place pan of vinegar and water under nightlight. The fleas are attracted to body heat. The nightlight will draw them and when they try and reach the heat they will fall into the pan and die. The vinegar works like an insecticide.

By

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Homemade Flea Trap.

Question: Flea Treating Mother Dog with New Pups

Is it safe to use flea treatment on my dog with 1 week old pups and if so what? Pups have fleas but mom doesn't. Otherwise healthy.

Helen from Brisbane, Australia

Most Recent Answer

By nancy goh (Guest Post)11/11/2007

You can use johnson & johnson baby shampoo. Just apply it and gently rub from tail to head then let it stay for 2 to 5 minutes. After this comb out with flea comb then bath as usual. If it doesn't work you can use white distilled vinegar made from grain (MIZKAN - brand of the vinegar) is one of japan production. Just spray undiluted vinegar directly on the puppy and be careful for the eyes and nose then gently rub forward and let it stay for 3 to 5 minutes then rinse with warm water. After this bathe as usual using puppy's shampoo.

good luck!
from malaysia

Question: Flea Problem

I have a little 9 week chihuahua. When we got him he had no fleas, but I have a half german shepherd/husky that lives downstairs so I think he got it from him I was wondering what I can use and will not be harsh on the lil' chihuahua and what can I use for the dog that lives downstairs. I have wooden floors all through the house. What will be a good solution to use to clean the house where the dog has been. Ana

Most Recent Answer

By Dolores. (Guest Post)08/25/2008

I have used a flea control product for 13 years now and in that time have never seen a flea inside or outside of my homw. I now sell the product and recommend it for anyone with one or multiple animals. It's easy and most importantly CHEAP!!! Only $40 a year GUARANTEED!!!. I had a dog for 18 years who was allergic to fleas and had very sensative skin. The "apply to the dog's neck" remedy didn't work for her, it was too strong for her skin. If you want to know what it is, email me and I'll give you more info.

RE: Flea Problem

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Flea Trap

Put a shallow dish of water with a little dish soap under a night light at night. The fleas will jump into the water and drown. :)