Consider a Pet Rescue

When considering pet adoption, consider your local animal shelter or a rescue association of some kind. The animals there are truly in need of a home and the adoption rates are much more reasonable than they are to buy through a breeder or pet store. Also, the adoption fee usually covers the spay/neuter fee, shots, and worming.

By Robin

But you have to be careful. Often animals form shelters and humane societies have troubled pasts. Often they have difficult behavior issues and don't trust people easily and that could include yourself. I would definetly not recommend a rescued dog for a novice owner. If you have had a dog before, then you will know the routines and things, so happy pet-buying!

Actually the # of dogs that have emotional issues isn't that large. I've had rescue dogs all my life & only 2 came with a big problem & over time they just mellowed out. I know a ton of rescue people & most of the dogs are completely adoptable. Most people give up dogs for stupid reasons, like they grew to be an adult. Duh. Or they move & just discard them like an old couch. Or they didn't bother to do their homework before they got a dog & the has to much energy, is to laid back blah blah blah. Besides these reasons most purebred dogs have genetic problems & usually don't live as long & aren'ts as healthy as mixed breeds. Although there are many purebred rescues too because people give them up for the same stupid reasons. Either way, rescue rescue rescue & save a life.

And Please! Spay and Neuter your pets. Millions of animals are euthanized every year because there are not enough homes for them all. I also have had found or rescued animals most of my life. It may take a few days for them to settle in because they are traumatized but they are very grateful to have a home and really want to please. It's no fun being in the shelter and not having a "family." Love and reassurance goes a long way with animals who have had hard luck. I've had great luck with shelter animals. I look for the ones that pull at my heart and it's never been wrong. Of course I'm an old softy when it comes to animals . . .

- Susan from ThriftyFun

You sound just like me Susan!

Or if you live close to the city neighborhoods there are so many unwanted, homeless cats and dogs struggling to survive the streets. Why not go and adopt one of them? They don't even have any shelter and would be so grateful for a kind person to rescue them.

http://FurryFriendsRescue.Bravehost.com/

I have the sweetest, most gentle, loving, loyal German Shepherd on earth. We adopted him from a GS rescue. He was 7 at the time and no one wanted an old dog. Best decision we ever made. We have had many dogs but this one has been the best. He loves everyone. Go to a shelter and save a dog's life!

A dog awaiting adoption.
Adopting a Rescued Pet
Pets AdoptingNovember 21, 2004
Scared dog hiding behind wall
Rescued Dog Has Not Warmed Up to New Owners
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Scared Chihuahua against a white background
Rescued Dog is Afraid of Everything
Woman with Adopted Dog
Adopting a Pet
🎄