Fire Alarm Will Not Stop Beeping

There's about 6 fire alarms in my house. One alarm started going off then, all the other ones went off for about 30min. Finally it all stopped, but then started again. Now that all the beeping stopped, one continues to beep every minute.

I changed the battery and it still beeps, so I flipped the battery figuring it was in backwards. The darn thing still beeps, I pushed the test button and that didn't work. I don't know what else to do, and I need some sleep. I'd cut the power, but it's my grandparents house so I don't want to do anything I'd get in trouble for. Any advice would help.

By Rose M.

Best Answer

I had the same problem with a fire alarm in our two bedroom apartment that continually beeped in our living room. One of the maintenance men had to remove the alarm and install another one.

It's not always the battery, maybe the alarms need to replaced with new ones. The alarms in your grandparents home are probably the original ones.

Maybe the new battery isn't as fresh as it needs to be? I'd try buying a fresh pack of batteries before going to the expense of a new alarm. You might also try cleaning the battery contacts in the alarm.

Agree with MCW, the alarms themselves can wear out and need to be replaced.

Get the manufacturer's name off the unit and call them. They are the experts.

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Home and Garden Home Improvement Home SafetyMay 25, 2011
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
Alarm Clock
Buying an Alarm Clock
Remote Car Alarm
Using a Remote Car Alarm
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System
🎉
🎄