Firefox Cannot Find Server Error Message

Firefox won't let me get to links. I usually get to the first link, but when I click on a link in that web site I get a Firefox error, "Firefox cannot find the server" of whatever I'm trying to connect to. If I continue to click on the "try again" box it eventually goes on to it. It's very frustrating and I've tried to make changes to Firefox where I knew to. Can anyone help me?

By Linda from Ashdown, AR

Hi, Linda, that error is a symptom that could be caused by many different things. It would be difficult to troubleshoot without access to the computer, but here are a few things you can try:

1. Power cycle everything involved in your Internet connection, including any networking equipment (modem, router, and your computer). The most common cause of the error you noted is a flaky Internet connection or Domain Name Server.

If the situation persists:

2. See if Internet Explorer behaves the same way. If it does, then you know the issue is not with Firefox, but rather with your computer's network connection or network settings and you'd need to contact your Internet Service Provider for help in diagnosing the network issue.

If Internet Explorer works fine but Firefox does not, then follow step #3 and also remove and reinstall Firefox.

3. Run up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware software. If you don't have any software doing that for you already, then download Windows Security Essentials (I assume you're running Windows). It is free and works well. Some viruses or malware will wedge themselves between your operating system and its network connection to do nasty things. I'd say there's a 10% chance this could be the cause of your problem, but it does happen.

Hope this helps.

It could also be Pop-ups or ActiveX are being blocked by an internal program. Look towards the top of the page and see if there's a bar saying something about Pop-ups or ActiveX when this problem occurs. If one of those bars are there it will give you option choices.

Hi Linda, I may have a similar problem, as I have found that I can't access the internet with any browser when I am logged on as myself, but my son can, or I can log as guest. I am guessing I have a virus or something, and intend to take the computer in to get fixed/cleaned/tuned up, whatever it is they do! In the meantime, I log on as guest.

Computers TroubleshootingSeptember 2, 2010
Whirlpool Washer
Whirlpool Washer Error Codes
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
Homemade Message Board Ideas
Homemade Message Board Ideas
Bread Machine
Bread Machine Error Codes