Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

My father has been suffering from sciatica for the last three months. A month ago he underwent a surgery and after surgery he is still feeling pain and numbness in his left leg. Any medications that the doctor has prescribed for him do not seem to have any positive effect. Can you please help find a solution to relieve sciatica pain?

Mohammad

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I started to have the same problem with sciatic nerve making my leg go numb while I was pregnant. I still get it if I don't get enough rest or if I lift too much heavy items. I rub bengay on my butt cheeks being careful not to get it where I don't want it. Let it rest and it goes away. I know it sounds crazy but it works for me. I am 47.

I've also been suffering with this for three months. I've been to a Neurosurgeon who told me I needed back surgery. I've been to six weeks of physical therapy. But, nothing changed. After doing a search on the internet I found a book called "Healing Back Pain. The Mind Body Connection" by Dr. John Sarno. I found it on Amazon. It had hundreds of excellent reviews. I've been reading it for the past two days and already my back is getting better! The whole premise behind the book is we think we're injured and that in and of itself causes us tension and consequently pain. Dr. Sarno hits the nail on the head in describing everything everyone has told me, from don't bend, don't twist, weak adominal muscles, need for surgery, etc. I very much believe in the power of positive thinking and can relate this to my back as well. I am confident my back problem will be a thing of the past within a few more days. My whole foot had gone numb and I was walking with a limp. But, now I'm walking normal again. For less than a $10 investment, you may want to give this a try.

I have been suffering from sciatic nerve pain and by the dictionary it involves the central nervous system weight, injury like slip and falls, alcohol, epson salt, and an extensive allergy to insecticides increased my pain. I am looking forward to several weekly visits to the chiropractor. I feel that if I lose weight and walk and ride my bike daily to rid myself of the associated stiffness then this may help and also help me to firm up my muscles and lose those unwanted pounds.

I know that I walked for several weeks and the pain lessened I did not even notice it anymore just short sprints of 5 to 6 short walks a day. And bike riding 4 to 6 times a week. The muscles need to be used and sedetary positions such as sitting and even sleeping aggravates my pain. Once I am up and on my feet I feel better. It is sort of a stiffness so I tried Arthritis Pain Reliever I figured the pain was like bursitis.

Good Luck and let the Holy Spirit bless u all. I really have no actual support everyone tells me they are in pain to and they just deal with it. Well my tolerance for this pain is just not there. I pray everyone's strength in the Lord and deliverance from this menacing disease. Blessings to all.

I have been with excruciating sciatic pain in my left side. It goes from the waist all the way down to my toes. I use biofreeze and helps out a lot. Also lots of stretches exercises. Nothing will cure it unless you have surgery, and that is not even guarantee.

Don't sit or walk for long periods of time. Put a pillow under your thigh and moist heating pad. Hope I can help some of you out there

I NEED YOUR HELP. I have had sciatic nerve pain (just diagnosed) for over 9 years. It is getting worse and worse and I am at the end of my rope. I have had multiple MRIs, physical therapy, chiropractic services, etc. over all the years and still no help. The good news is that I seem to be very healthy structurally other than a touch of arthritis on the spine (L5), which the doctor says is pretty normal at my age 38. in his eyes not significant. Also I really believe this last doctor has the right diagnosis- sciatic nerve pain. My pain is around my hip but deep in the buttocks and radiates down my leg to my knee and when at its worse my ankle too (the whole left leg) . I have a lot of weakness in my leg (left) when there are flare ups. The flare up always occurs during 3-4 days before my menstral cycle each month and at other times that I don't understand. I need help and I am truly running out of hope. Does anyone else suffer the pre-menstral flare ups? What can I do? I sort of feel like this is my last shot at getting it right.

I have taken one of a series of 3 epidural steroid injections - no relief, but I am clinging to hope that the others may show signs. I keep wondering if I am suppose to be doing some other type of treatment but can't seem to ever reach anyone without an appointment. Crazy.

I am all over the place on this and I really am scattered just trying to figure out what to do next. It's been so long without a diagnosis now I have one, but still don't really know what options to explore. I don't want to give up - I miss my life truly and need a light. Please provide any advice that you can. I have taken not of what has been offered so far -thanks a million. Any other proven remedies, or does anyone relate with my situation.

Thanks so much for this blog. I will get back to my very active life - I have to, I just have to. My kids don't ever recognize this new inactive me - things have become really bad in the last 18 months.

After 6 months of misery from Sciatica and limited results with chiropractic treatments, I have found relief with a combination of an herbal formula called Back Support (Acute) by Evergreen and Magnesium Taurate by Cardiovascular Research Ltd. The amino acid Taurine transports the magnesium straight to the muscles which helps relax the muscle spasms. No side effects.

I am back on my feet, but not quite back to prior health. Do also google "Sciatica and Castor Oil" for a very inexpensive treatment, which addresses a common, although not well known, underlying cause for Sciatica. I will be trying it myself starting tonight. (No, not orally'). Will check in later with results - hoping other brave souls do too.

My sister has been suffering from sciatica for years she is now so heavily drugged that she sleeps 20 hours a day and when the morphine has worn off is in excruciating pain again, a never ending problem. What can be done? She had her esophagus and part of her stomach removed recently and she has not eaten anything for 3 weeks. Help

I bought a book titled Doctor Morrison's Miracle Body Tune-up For Rejuvenated Health. By Marsh Morrison. from Amazon.co . Get the used book section, it's cheaper. A retired Chiropractor wrote it so you can do the exercises at home when ever you need to. check page 59 at the top, and chapter 8. I hope this helps someone.

This is an exercise I do for pain in butt, down leg to ankle. If floor is too hard try laying on your bed, do this just before sleep so it rest through the night. Lie on your back raise right knee, press to chest gently but firm, then lower and do the other leg same way, then lower, now bring both knees up and press to the chest.do each night till you get relief. Hope this helps it does me. Since 1997 when it flares up, which it does off and on.

I went to a licensed medical doctor in San Antonio who is also an acupuncturist. He put me through three 20 minute sessions. The needles were fine and did not hurt, though laying still on a hard medical bed for 20 minutes with the needles in was tedious. After the three sessions, I no longer had the pain.

About four months later the pain was back. I have been through one session, but I am still hurting. I have two more sessions to go. The sessions are very cheap. I pay cash.

This approach has zero side effects.

In my case, I had a fall which resulted in a tilted pelvis....causes all sorts of problems. If you don't have a tilted pelvis, sciatica is probably being caused by piriformas syndrum. You can try the stretches, they may help. Or you could get an injection right in the piriformas muscle, reducing the inflammation, and allowing you to begin an exercise routine. It should eliminate the sciatica within 3 days. if nothing else works, try Lyrica.

Better to go physiotherapic treatment, but it should be taken continuously as it takes time to recover and in your father case should be from good physiotherapist.

I hear Acupuncture is the way to go.

Calcium and bed rest helped me. Also apply/massage oil very lightly (Add some crush garlic and camphor in mustard oil - heat until the garlic turns black - apply when little warm). You can also take turmeric with little hot water at night.

Few of the yoga asanas for relief of back pain and pranayam - you can follow aastha channel in the mornings. You will sure get relief and you can lead a normal life. Of course it will take time to get rid of this pain ompletely.

I would have intense tightness in my lower back when playing tennis. It would fell like two rubber bands being wound up. I saw a foot doctor at a State Fair exhibit and he told me it was sciatic nerve pain and to put these orthopedics in my shoes, The pain instantly went away. I immediately got fitted for orthopedics and was pain free until my orthopedics started wearing out. I suggest to try this. It's much cheaper than surgery or physical therapy!

Go to www.backpaingo.com. I have a herniated disc that causes acute sciatic nerve pain and I invested in this machine from Randy about 5 weeks ago and I cannot believe how it helped the pain. At first it was tough because it worked on the inflammation and I was sore but I can sleep at night and very few flare ups and I still have the herniated disc. Honestly, it's worth the money. Janis (from Texas)

I had severe sciatica leg pain for two months from 6 pelvis fractures and 3 back fractures. Absolutely nothing helped. I then went to my home doctor (I had been seeing the back and leg specialist from a larger town in my state) and he said he had the exact same problem. He placed me on cymbalta (an antidepressant and nerve calmer) and I had absolute no nerve pain a week later. Try it, I promise you won't be dissatisfied!

Answer

My husband is 35 and is having terrible sciatic nerve pain. He's been to numerous doctors, but they just give him pain killers that don't seem to work. This has been going on for nearly 4 months! Any ideas for home or herbal remedies? We'll try just about anything.

Thanks!
Trashash from Texas

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

See if a chiropractor can help, it certainly did for me. (03/10/2006)

By Chris

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

A GOOD massage therapist will do wonders too! (03/10/2006)

By Nancy80501

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

It may not be sciatic nerve but a related syndrome with the same symptoms as sciatica. I had the same problem but after a great deal of research, I came across info on the internet that helped within a few days. As long as I keep it up I am fine. Do a google search on Piriformis Stretch.

(03/10/2006)

By Rene

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I would highly recommend going to a chiropractor also. I have sciatica too, but usually my whole back would go out before too long. I can't imagine living with it for four months, your poor hubby!

Check to see if your insurance provider covers chiropractics. When I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield they covered it just like a regular doctor's visit. (03/10/2006)

By wendiesioux

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I am a Chiropractic Assistant and have seen wonders with this problem. Don't worry about your insurance. I know a lot don't cover squat for Chiropractors. I work in a mostly cash practice. We are very reasonable and only adjust your subluxations. No therapy, no costly extra stuff. Try to find someone to address this problem. My husband works in a Physical Therapy part of a major hospital and that doesn't work as well as Chiropractic. Good Luck! (03/10/2006)

By peachynptc

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I would suggest going to an osteopathic physician (NOT A CHIROPRACTOR) who specialized in osteopathic manipulative medicine. I used to have severe sacroiilitis and with the combination of manipulation and epidural injections and specific exercises I have not had an episode in 5 years. If you need the name of a DO near or around you, e-mail and I will find one for you. I work for two osteopathic physicians and trust me, it works.

Dachie311 @ wmconnect.com (remove spaces) (03/10/2006)

By Pamm from Oklahoma

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

It's good that you and your husband don't take pain lightly - it is a signal from your body. What kinds of tests have the doctors done for your husband? My brother had lower back pain and sciatica, and it wasn't until the doctor ordered an MRI that a malignant lesion on his spine was detected. Surgery went very well, he is in full remission. I don't mean to make you hit the panic button, but you don't want to let any stone go unturned. (03/10/2006)

By Alice

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Try a TENS machine, (as long as he doesn't have a pace maker) which I wouldn't think so for his age.
It helps to block the pain signals to the brain. It won't solve the problem, but will give some pain relief. Other than that, I use magnets. (03/10/2006)

By wendy

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Typical sciatica treatments
Nerve pain is caused by a combination of pressure and inflammation on the nerve root, and treatment is centered on relieving both of these factors. Typical sciatica treatments include:

Manual treatments for sciatica, including physical therapy and specific stretching and strengthening exercises, and manual manipulation (e.g. osteopathic or chiropractic manipulation) to help relieve the pressure on the nerve root, which is the cause of the pain.

Medical treatments for sciatica, including medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), oral steroids, or epidural steroid injections to help relieve the inflammation, which is usually a component of the pain.

Surgery for sciatica, such as microdiscectomy or lumbar laminectomy and discectomy, to remove the portion of the disc that is irritating the nerve root. This surgery is designed to help relieve both the pressure and inflammation and may be warranted if the sciatic nerve pain is severe and has not been relieved with appropriate manual or medical treatments.
Forget the chiropractor they can make the problem worse.

(03/11/2006)

By Dean

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I started having sciatica when I was 18 and am now 53! It has mostly been in my legs. Mostly I have suffered all these many years and taken OTC meds. It is an inflammation of the sciatic nerve so an anti-inflammatory seems to work the best. I worried about taking ibuprofen too much, so switched to tylenol. I saw a neurologist some years back and had an MRI and x-rays. Now I know I have a slightly bulging disc, but it is minor and does not require surgery.

The neurologist said I should exercise and lose weight, easier said than done. I was thin and young when I first noticed the pain, then was told it was because of my job of being a secretary and sitting. My sciatic nerves run directly under bones in my buttox so it would get inflamed. About 2 or so years ago, I started taking coral calcium and it has made a tremendous difference. I am not cured, but have very little sciatic pain like I used to.

Go online and read up about it, or any calcium probably will help because it helps nerves. I sometimes switch off and take calcium w/magnesium. Do not take coral calcium if you have a fish allergy. Always check with your doctor. Also, something else I take is flax seed oil capsules. Flax seed is good for a lot of things, but one of the benefits is it's an anti-inflammatory. I had chronic pain previously for many years and now I'm so much better, it's almost like a miracle! (03/11/2006)

By Debbie52

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I experienced daily sciatic nerve pain from age 25 to age 44. An MD told me to go to a chiropractor and I did. I probably paid about $1000 over the course of the year I saw him, as insurance does not cover this. But it was worth every penny. The pain has not returned and I feel great. The money is paid per visit and is not that hard to part with when you start to feel good again. I started to feel good after about 5 visits but I kept all of my other appointments during the year. $1000 to rid myself of nearly 20 years of pain is not expensive! (03/11/2006)

By Mary

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Hello,
I am sorry to hear that your husband is in so much pain. I have been suffering from sciatic pain (left leg from buttocks through toes) since 1999, so I know it can be bad. I have used aspirin, tylenol, advil, and, finally, aleve, because I would wake up so much.

One day I was talking to a friend about all of this and she confided that she too suffers from sciatica. Her doctor told her to lie on her stomach and then slowly tense all the muscles in both legs, then release slowly. Repeat as many times as necessary, usually 5 minutes is enough. I could not believe it, but this simple exercise completely took away the pain.

Now, every time I feel the pain coming on, I get on my stomach. This could be done on the floor in his office, if necessary. If at home, obviously the bed or carpeted floor is best.

Try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Best of all, no risk!

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.
Anjeena (03/11/2006)

By Anjeena

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

If you look in your yellow pages, sometimes there is a complimentary visit coupon in the coupon section. They tend to do this because more than likely you will come back, and ask around for recommendations. My hubby's dad had a bad experience and never went back, so my DH doesn't believe. I went to one for minor scoliosis treatment when I was 12, and stayed a regular customer for 6 years after injuries to my pelvis and back. She helped me to keep up growing and work through my teen years! (03/11/2006)

By camo_angels

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I have the same thing from a lack of gel between the discs, with nerve damage. I am taking a drug called NEURONTIN, and it is the first time in 20 years that I have slept through the night without taking over the counter, or darvocet for the pain. Ask your doctor and see if it is for you, good luck to you. No one knows how bad back pain is, until they have it. I hope you get some relief soon.
Lee from Ohio (03/12/2006)

By jwrh626

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I have nerve pain left over from shingles several years ago. My doctor started me on a new medicine called Lyrica. It really does help. You can find more info at www.lyrica.com.
(03/12/2006)

By Marlene

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Can anyone help me with suggestions with my wife's Sciatic Nerve Pain? She has been teaching aerobics for several years and we are wanting to find out if a natural way of curing this problem is out there, ie, certain exercises, etc. Please let us know. Thanks. (03/31/2006)

By Kent

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Try the chiropractor. I injured my back during the deliveries of both my sons. I delivered both of them laying on my left side and caused an injury in my lowback/sacroilliac area. When this area goes out, I also suffer from sciatic pain. Better to try this than to do damage to your liver from too many medications or going the route of surgery. The M.D. I chose for my family (including labor and delivery), I chose because his wife was a patient of a chiropractor. Not every M.D. is against chiropractors. (04/07/2006)

By brizaksmommy

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Yes, for all of your sciatica nerve pain. Pain in the back, thigh, calf, even down through the foot. Please trust me, I am a user of this natural med. www.backreliefelite.com, order a bottle and give it a try. I did, and was very happy with the solution. (04/21/2006)

By Jeremy

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

As a Chiropractor for years, I can say that most sciatic pain will respond to joint manipulation, as log as it is not from a disc lesion. Disc problems can be ruled out by a painless MRI scan. However, 80% of people that don't have pain have finding on MRI. Most sciatic pain is caused by SI joint problems or piiformis muscle syndrome. A GOOD chiropractor can diagnose the problem and you will get well quickly. Also, some home stretch and heat/ice of the piformis muscle. I have not seen you, therefore I do not know where your sciatica is coming from. You need a good work up to get the proper treatment.

CK from Texas (04/29/2006)

By drchask

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I suffered sciatica for 28 days. I took medicines, no injections, as was suffering from hypertension & diabetes. Got a lot of relief from rubbing eucalyptus oil and using ice blocks. Also, found relief from putting on an LS Belt with traction. What was more vital, which cured me, was to exercise patience with bed rest. (11/28/2006)

By sdg5569

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

He needs to go to a chiropractor. I am a massage therapist at a chiropractors office, and we treat many cases of sciatica through massage and different types of therapy. (07/07/2007)

By Willow

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I am suffering, and have been for the past 6 weeks from sciatic pain. I've tried pills, chiropractors, and physicians. Nothing is helping me. I sympathize with everyone who suffers from this. (09/06/2007)

By Jayne

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Good luck. Most chiropractors want to put you on a "treatment" program which costs about $4,000.00 for 6-8 weeks. I've heard that decompression treatments help, but you usually can't get that without the program. I bought an inversion table (same principle), and am just going to try and pull the disc back out using this. It's a lot cheaper anyway, lol. (11/06/2007)

By

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I am so surprised that nobody mentions the beautiful vitamin B which helps so much for neuropatic problems, and even more with sciatic problems!

Just buy the very cheap Vit B12, 500mg (Twinlab for example)
Put 1 pill under your tongue, twice a day and tell me if after that you don't feel better! (04/10/2008)

By Isabelle\

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Please help me out, my mum is in real pain with this sciatica stuff! I have no ideas what it is. I just called her, and she was in so much pain that she started crying uncontrollably. I don't stay with her, I don't know what to do!
Please suggest something fast friends.

chitra, india (04/22/2008)

By chitra

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I have been suffering from sciatic nerve pain for a little over a year. At times, the pain is unbearable. I feel like I have a hot knife running down the back of my leg. I have had 2 MRI's that confirm I have a bulging disc L5. I have also undergone 30 treatments of spinal decompression and I still have no relief. Thanks for all the tips, I think I am going to try the vitamin B12, Coral Calcium, and flax seed and the stretch where you lay on your stomach and tense the legs. At this point I have given up on all chiropractors and doctors. I also tried Super Sciatica Relief, it did not help one bit, neither did oral steroids. I also had an infection of muscle relaxers, it made me so sick and gave no relief. I will let you know if any of this works. I am at the end of my rope. I am trying to avoid surgery at all costs. (07/16/2008)

By Felicia

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Young man holding his lower back.
Remedies For Lower Back Pain
Health & Beauty Home RemediesAugust 13, 2008
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Shingles
Remedies for Shingles Pain
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 5:10:56 AM on 10.0.1.75 in 662 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.