My kitten won't stop sucking my hair!

Please can someone let me know why my kitten insists on sitting on my hair when I am sleeping and sucking and "kneading" it? I try to get her to stop, I am using a spray bottle, but I was hoping to understand WHY she does it to see if I can discourage it.

DebC

I believe she is trying to nurse. They knead their mother's bellies to find a teat and bring down her milk. That could be why she is trying to suck on your "fur" (your hair)! I'm not sure how to stop it except that maybe it is a phase. Maybe you could shut your door if she wakes you up?

Have fun with your new friend!

Mine does the same thing. Then she cries

I believe I read somewhere that kittens and sometimes grown cats will lick or suck on hair if your

shampoo etc was made with animal bi-products.

Cindy, I think she was weaned too early. Hopefully as she gets older, this behavior will stop! I agree with the suggestion the Guest Post gave you...close your door!

I have a cat that did the same thing, but mine is not a kitten anymore. I would just push her away, and after a while she got the message and quit trying to suck on my hair. However, she does try to nurse on other things. My grandmother crocheted a small, um, crocheted thing, out of yarn. I rubbed it around in my bed sheets and kept in in my bed so it would smell like me, and I gave it to my cat when she would try to suck on my hair. Sometimes that worked, or she just started sucking on my sheets. I don't live at home anymore (the cat lives with my parents) so I don't see the cat much, but I think I have seen her try to suck on things once in a while, even now. So your cat may not outgrow the habit completely, but it is possibly to deter her from sucking on your hair-- just be patient and persistent.

My 13 yr old sat still "sucks and kneads" when she is in her bed. I asked the vet about this and he said it is normal for a cat to regress back to their kittenhood when she is happy and content.

The kneading is a way that they express milk when they nurse, when a kitten does this, it may be because it misses it mother, or it is being affectionate towards you. You may want to try holding her in your lap with a scrunched up blanket or towel and see if you can't get her to exhibit the behaviour there instead of on your head.

The kneading is a way that they express milk when they nurse, when a kitten does this, it may be because it misses it mother, because that is what it did to nurse, or it is being affectionate towards you. You may want to try holding her in your lap with a scrunched up blanket or towel and see if you can't get her to exhibit the behaviour there instead of on your head

Give her a piece of silky lacy material each time she does this,,,,,she will learn to use her lovey blanky for this need for closeness and warmth.

I had a cat that did that for 20 years, and I have a new cat that has done that for the last 3 years, ever since we got him. Our vet told us that they were not properly weaned from their mothers or else taken away too soon. Mine seem to want to do this as they are trying to fall asleep. I just let them, I'm glad that they are happy with me and feel contented.

My cat did that when she was a kitten but she has grown out of it, she now only needs a blanket that is in my lap and the sucking has stopped all together. She was weened correctly but I think she missed her mother.

Good luck

My kitten won't stop sucking on me and I don't know if I should let him or stop it....he has not been to the vet yet, but I'm trying too find solutions now b 4 i go.....HELP!

Editor's Note: Anika, we posted this as a new request:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf664121.tip.html

your kitten was weaned too early and that is why they do this. All you can do is try to discourage it but most times I believe that it will be a life long problem. My kitten does the same thing to. I guess we have to buy hats....lol

i bought the CATSIFIER online and it works great. Its a pillow w/ a fur cat on it w/ small nipples..my kittens love it and thay leave me alone at night

It is because they were taken from thier mother too soon. Don't use a spay bottle get this pillow and teach it to use it

I've got 2 - 8 week old kittens who are brothers and just 1 of them sucks the others leg when it's settling down to sleep. It doesn't seem to be affecting the other kitten. In fact. he seems happy to let him. Is this because he was weaned too soon, or just showing affection to his brother?

We love our kittens. They are cute and cuddly however, mine is driving me CRAZY. I have not had a good nights sleep since I got her. Because of this obsession with my hair, she wants to knead it, and bury herself in it. I can deal with it while I am awake watching tv or working, but at night it is getting harder and harder. I have tried the water bottle, even some of that safe cat spray you use to train them not to scratch but it is not working, so when I put her out of my room she sits at my door and cries so loud she wakes, me and my son. In fact since I live in an apartment, I am sure the neighbors can hear her too. I really need advice. She is 4 1/2 months old, a rescue, and yes, I am sure she was taken from her mom to young. But she is very outgoing and afraid of nothing. Please, anyone... a little help here. It is making me very grumpy not getting enough sleep : (

My kitten does this too I've been putting a stuffed animal between him and my hair every time he does it and then he starts sucking on the the stuffed animal, it seems to be working pretty well so maybe try getting a stuffed animal for it to suck on instead of your hair

It is not true that kittens try to nurse because they were weaned too early, this is a common misconception. I got my kitten when she was 12 weeks old and she still did this.

After shampooing, rinse your hair with something that will taste bad to the cat. Veterinarians and pet stores sell something called "bitter apple" for similar purposes. It is not poisonous but it tastes bad to animals. With a few attempts by the kitten to suckle on that, the habit will be broken.

I have four cats. My 1st was only 5 weeks old when I had him and I had to wean him onto solids myself. He is affectionate but has never 'suckled'. I have adopted 2 other cats who are both lovely but my fourth is a kitten and he was 8 weeks old when we had him. He loves my other cats, plays and washes them cuddles them but will not leave me alone. I think because I feed him, cuddle him, talk to him and kiss him he sees me as his mother figure and during the night he sucks my hair and kneads my head, his claws hurt and he wakes me up. Its frustrating because my children keep me awake during the nights as well as the kitten. I hope he will grow out of it but I don't want to push him away as I don't want him to feel rejected!

I know how you feel my kitten has been doing this ever since I got her. But I don't mind. Every night she insists on cuddling up against my neck she is so lovable though. But I don't know what to tell you if it is keeping you awake at night like than close your door. But like for me I'm 14 and don't have to worry so I just allow her because I have no problem with it

Pets AdviceJanuary 25, 2005
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄