Browsing: Kitten Trying to Nurse on People

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

Why does my kitten suck on me?

By Kayla from Canada, On

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

This is typical kitten behavior. Maybe he was taken from his mother too soon. Scroll down to other answers in Archives.

I think kitty was weaned and taken from mama way to early. I don't know answer but, maybe there are temporary substitutes to get through the weeks he missed and then maybe another kitty friend may be a good thing.

Hey, it's ok! if your kitten is young, it will think your it's mom, therefor, it will suck on you.

My kitten sucks on me, then he turns and starts biting and holding with his claws. Don't care if he sucks, but then he become aggressive.

My kitten is about 6-8 weeks old. I rescued him from someone in Texas. I am having a problem with him wanting to suck on fleece materials. I have looked up online that there are kitten pacifiers. Has anyone tried these? Do they work?

August 8, 2011 Flag

How do I stop my cat sucking my ear?

By Bianca P

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is it a kitten? If so, he/she will outgrow it.

Some a cats will do that for their entire life. The main reason they do that is because they were taken away from their mama too soon so instead of trying to get your fur baby to stop doing it just accept it as a gift that he/she considers you to be it's mama and you give him/her comfort. :-)

As for the advice shirlgrif gave I feel this must be written in all caps:

PLEASE DO NOT BE CRUEL TO ANY ANIMAL BY PUTTING TABASCO IN ITS MOUTH AND TEA TREE OIL IS POISONOUS TO BOTH CATS AND DOGS!

OMG! Are you kidding me! Tabasco or tree oil. I hope you did not give this to your cat, how cruel is that! I don't like to sound rude but I think you need to learn more about caring for your cat. How would you like to have those 2 products in your mouth. I think not. Please do not do this.

I have multiple cats. One who was a rescue as a tiny kitten is now aged 4 years. He cleaved to me from the beginning. He began sucking on my ear lobe back then and still does it. I'm not a disciplinarian. He only sucks on my ear for a couple of minutes as he drifts off to sleep in my arms. I'm not bitten or harmed. I am not ashamed or sorry, either.

I also have a kitten who sucks on my earlobe! Has to be the left one! Lol! She was just past 5 weeks old when I got her so I assume she wasn't quite ready to leave her momma. I am now her Momma! She is a blessing and I guess if she needs my earlobe for security I am willing to allow it!

September 8, 2011 Flag

I have a kitten about ten weeks old who is guaranteed to dry nurse me whenever I pick him up. I have tried telling him off firmly and blowing in his face. Even when I put something over my lap, he roots around until he finds an exposed part of my top (if not, he resorts to my bottoms). He will bite my arms if I put them there to block him and sits at my feet shouting if I put him down.

I want him to feel loved, but this is really bothering me. Please help!

By Noye

This usually happens when a kitten has been taken from its mother too soon. I encourage you to allow the kitten to "substitute suckle" as it will provide some of the comfort he would have received from his mother.

The kitten may never want to stop doing the "dry nursing." I have multiple cats. One, aged 4 years still wants to suck on my ear every time I start to show any affection. Cats always want things to be on their terms. They may very well take discipline as rejection; of course it varies with each individual or circumstance. Be careful, with every good wish.

Some cats will do that for their entire life. The main reason they do that is because they were taken away from their mama too soon so instead of trying to get your fur baby to stop doing it just accept it as a gift that he/she considers you to be it's mama and you give him/her comfort. :-)

I got my kitten at 10 weeks, now had him 2 weeks and he's just started doing this 2 days ago. He was not taken too soon

September 21, 2010 Flag

My kitten won't stop sucking on me and I don't know if I should let him or stop it. He has not been to the vet yet, but I'm trying to find solutions now before I go. Help!

Anika

Answers:

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

Kittens do that many times when they have been taken away from their mothers too young or were weaned too early. Just let it suck, it will help it feel comfortable. You can give it some cloth like an old t-shirt to suck on also if you get too tired of it. Just put your finger inside the shirt until it starts sucking, then move your finger away. They usually out grow it after a few months, at least mine did.

Susan from ThriftyFun (06/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

We once had a cat that had its own "comfy toy", a soft stuffed baby toy. It was a source of comfort to him and we saw no harm in him doing it. He purred and "kneaded" it until he fell asleep. I wouldn't worry about it. (06/08/2005)

By seagrape

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

My kitten, who is now 12 years old, still has this harmless behavior. He is particularly fond of cotton fabrics. Velcro is his name and he definitely clings to me like Velcro. Velcro was abandoned by his mother at the age of 4 weeks and almost died (several of his siblings did). I guess I became his mother at that time. He loves to be near me. He sleeps over my head, on my pillow and kneads and purrs all night long. He is comforted by this so I don't mind. Ask the vet what he or she thinks about the behavior. But I wouldn't be too concerned. (06/08/2005)

By Sew Sew Mitch

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

My cat Mariah did that also when tiny, but he'd been taken from his mum too early, the vet told me. He did grow out of it. He's now the most affectionate of all my cats. He luvs snuggling and cuddling and kissing. Don't despair. (06/21/2005)

By Spook

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

My cat does the same thing to me! I got my Christian, long haired grey/brown tabby back in September of 05 when he was 8 weeks old. He started the day I brought him home. He would lay in bed with my boyfriend and I and immediately start kneading my head and suckling my hair while purring loudly. My boyfriend couldn't stand it and I was a little nervous at first because I had never seen this behavior before. People told me that he would probably stop when he got older, but this has yet to happen.

He is now 15lbs and 9 months old and he is still kneading and suckling. My vet told me that I am "mommy" and this is why he does it. He was probably (most definitely) taken from his mom too early. Kittens knead their mothers while suckling milk, it helps release the milk. Take it as a compliment, he loves you very much and is content with you. You are mommy.

My vet also informed me that this behavior is never to be punished. It does hurt, I know. Sometimes I feel like his claw is going to get stuck in my head, lol. It can be very annoying, especially right before bed and early in the morning. My cat does it at all hours of the day if I am in bed! But, I continue to let him do it and he purrs and purrs. Hope this helps. (04/05/2006)

By Luscious

RE: My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

A Solution

I have found a catsifier (pacifier for kittens and cats). It's a pillow with a fake fur cat cut out sewn in the pillow and on the belly of the cat are 4 pacifier nipples. The action is a soothing action for them like a child sucking their thumb. The catsifier gives them a safe area and it's not harassing you or your children or ruining any of your blankets. Go to catsifier.com (01/04/2007)

By Laurie

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

My kitten sucks on my lips, my ears, my fingers, my toes, etc. I find he gets deterred if I blow on his face whenever he gets near. Or if you give him a tiny nip on the ear. (06/17/2007)

By Daisy

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

I also have a kitten that does this. I am curious, how many of these cats are male and how many female? Ozzy would suck on anyone or thing he could get his mouth on when we first got him. Me, my kids, and my cat. Now, the other cat is 5 years old and was a bit spooked at first, since he is a male, but he has even accepted it.

Ozzy no longer sucks on me, since I gently but firmly pushed him away and said no in a firm voice. The kids did the same and now he doesn't do it any more to us. It took awhile, but it worked, and it didn't hurt him at all. Pain is never the answer with animals, any more than it is with children, and those who use it against them are cruel and should be punished! (08/10/2007)

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

WARNING: My cat died of cancer of the stomach pipe caused by sucking clothes containing traces of washing powder and fabric softener. Sucking behavour over time means that your car is ingesting the residue. In the case of your skin it sucks moisturisers and soap chemicals.

Kittens only "grow out of it" in cases where the cat was old enough to leave its mother's milk. Kittens taken from mothers young will be usually be addicted for life so one must gradually cut down.

Photo: Chequie ill and dying from suckling clothes. (06/30/2008)

By

RE: My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

My kitten was doing this to my earlobe and I stopped him when I noticed my earlobe was red and swollen. The sucking became quite aggressive as each month passed. What I did to stop it was put Ozonol on my earlobe. The smell drove him away. I imagine you could use vapor rub ointment too. They hate that smell. Just rub a bit on and eventually the cat will stop bothering your ear and you won't need the ointment anymore. (02/23/2009)

By Kevin

My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

Rory does this as well. Though it's not because it was taken from him mom too early. He was very sick at 3 weeks old, and I nursed him with milk replacement, for a week and a half until he started nursing from mom again.
I'll be giving the Catifier a try. (06/30/2010)

By chrshe

RE: My kitten won't stop sucking on me!

meowing kitten
Kitten Trying to Nurse on People
Pets CatsSeptember 21, 2010
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 18, 2016 at 3:30:53 PM on 10.0.0.209 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.