CarpetCleaning

Homemade Steamcleaner Solution for Oil Stains

Category Carpet

My husband is a mechanic and sometimes he tracks oil into the house, forgetting to remove his shoes. I have found that degreaser (like Havoline) at Walmart or the dollar store works on carpets. I add a capful of it to very hot water in the well, then I add 1/2 cup of Pine-sol.

By Mary

First and foremost do not use anything that is not a degreaser. It only attracts more dirt. You can get carpet or stain degreaser at any hardware store. You will have to do it several times. If all else really fails, I have done this 2x and my machine is still fine. (I would not do it more than once or twice). Fill a quart bottle with 1/2 cup of bleach, and 1/2 cup of white vinegar or lemon juice then fill with warm water. put some into a spray bottle and spray it right on the stains. Then, let it sit for a min or 5, while you pour the rest into your machine and add the correct amount of water to your machine.

Slowly, just keep cleaning the carpet. I have brownish cream carpet, and this was like magic! It took out set in pet stains, wine, marker and just plain traffic stains. Be sure you keep "sucking" the water out of the carpet even after it looks like there is none left. If the carpet is left to damp the stain will "wick" back up from the padding below and you will be no better off. When you are finished rinse the machine and let air dry! Once you have done that, show your husband how hard you worked to make the carpet beautiful for your family..and how he could show his appreciation by remembering to remove his shoes. Good luck to you!

Editor's Note: I was concerned about mixing bleach with vinegar because of a gas it produces. I found a recommendation for this here:

http://www.eure … fm-vik021306.php

Please though if you use this type of mixture to open windows and doors so you have good ventilation.