ElectronicsCleaning

Cleaning Pizza Sauce Off a Keyboard

My daughter would like to know how to clean a keyboard. Her husband was eating pizza the other night and got sauce all over the keyboard. We heard you can put the keyboard in dish washer.

Arlene from Wisconsin

I have tried the dishwasher method. It works like a bomb!! - Just hang the keyboard (I presume it is a computer keyboard) in the sun for a couple of hours to dry off completely.

Editor's Note: Make sure it is good and dry before plugging it back in.

The keyboard in the dishwasher sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Good luck if you decide to try it. I've cleaned keyboards in the past, just pop out the buttons (make sure you have another keyboard to copy so you know where they go back in) and use cotton buds to swab into any tricky areas to clean. I do not use a cleaner, just dampen the buds in water and use elbow grease. The longer you leave it, the harder it will be to clean.

I have heard that the dishwasher thing works, but I wouldn't try it!

If you turn the keyboard over, you should see some screws on the back. Carefully remove the screws and take the back off the keyboard. The circuit should come with the back. Now you'll be left with the top, where the keys are. Feel free to dunk that part into some good soapy water, and you can probably even pop the keys off for really deep cleaning.

Much safer than the dishwasher method.

M-m-h-m-m-m! No matter how many times you tell them they still eat at the computer. I keep a container of wipes near the computer. You never know when someone has a cold or something, especially younger teens, so I like to wipe down the keys and the mouse. Clorox wipes work for me. If it's a sloppy stain, you might try paper towels or damp cloth first.

I wouldn't advise the dishwasher route myself.

With the help of a very, very small, flat screwdriver and gentle upward pressure applied under the edge of the key the keys on my wireless keyboard can all be popped off.

On occasion I pop off all my keys, vacuum under them and wipe off any crud.

If you don't want to try popping off the keys, clean as much pizza sauce off as you can, then take the keyboard to any place that sells or services computers and ask them to show you how to take the keys off to clean the rest of the pizza sauce off.