Know Your Computer Repair Person

When you hand over your computer to a repair service, do you realize that once they get your computer to function, EVERY bit of personal (and possibly financial) information is at their disposal.

My advice is to find a local repair person that you feel you can trust; not hand it over to a company that will send it to their repair center. Who is working on it, and will they invade your privacy? At least if you deal with an individual, you have a better chance of not being invaded. If so, at least you have a 'starting source'.

By cajun62234 from Collinsville

I personally think you are better off with a reputable store like Staples. I have used them every since I let a "friend" take my computer to fix. I had all pro parts in it and he stole them and replaced them with cheap parts. Encluding the voodoo sound card and he even took my new cords and replaced them with old ones. I threatened to take him to court and he paid me 900.00 for what he stole. He must have been on probation and couldn't risk a court trial.

I am so very lucky! My son is an electrical/computer engineer. When he visits, he always checks out my computer. Lucky Me!

I would also like to pitch learning how to do repairs yourself. There are many websites that offer free advice on how to do this. It is not rocket science! My son does all my computer repairs and he has taught me a lot. One basic thing is preventive: don't click on any links that pop up, such as for antivirus software updates! That is a no-no and a clever way to access your computer. Get to know which sites are legit. Get computer for dummies or free library sponsored classes. I agree that any computer repair company/person or anybody with access to your computer can steal or substitute inferior parts and if you don't know about your computer, you will be blissfully unaware.

Don't save your data on your computer. Save it to an external drive. Then the data is not on your computer when it gets repaired.