CatsPest Control

Keeping Cats Off My Fence

Category Cats

How do I keep the neighbor's cats off the top of my fence? It has a four foot lattice with a top rail and it's covered in wisteria but the cats next door manage to sit up there and tease my dog. Consequently the dog spends most of his day barking and whining and getting scolded for his behavior. Please help. The neighbor is not at all cooperative.

Annie

I'm no expert on cats but try spraying them with the hose every time. It should work. If I could catch my neighbor's cat when she sneaks over I would do the same. It infuriates me that people are allowed to let their cats roam. I feed the squirrels etc. & she comes over & sends them up the tree. I want to have a safe place for the critters so it really fries me.

the methods I'd suggest are :

1: - get a water gun and keep it primed and ready to shoot-(even with some pet repellant diluted in it so that they don't like the smell. If that fails to deter them. then go to step 2.....

2: - put some barbed wire along the top or the railing for a while to deter them- just tack it down - you don't want it looking like a maximum security prison fence. As you and the neighbour share the fence, you'll need top be discreet about this one.

3: Also you probably need to investigate some behaviour modification training for your pooch- poor harassed boy.

Hope that helps

Kiwi dog lover (and yes I have cats too)

I would also suggest spraying them with a water bottle. Does your town have an ordinane about cats roamly freely? You might find out about that. I wouldn't reccomend putting barbed wire on top as that could seriously injure the cats(and you could also get in trouble). I am a cat lover but agree with you that the cats should be on a leash or kept indoors. Sorry that they are bothering your dog.

Good luck!

Poor pooch! I'd try spraying the fence with straight vinegar, but first find out if this will hurt the wisteria. If not, soak the fence, lavishing attention on the top rail. Most, if not all, cats hate vinegar. The smell will dissipate, so you will have to do this often for a while (if you find it keeps them away) - at least every other day and when it rains. Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Terry from ChilliOH

I'd call an pet shop or a vets office and ask them what they'd use. They deal with animal's all the time so I'm sure they know, but be sure to explain what kind of fence you have

the water gun approach is good and I would suggest you try to put tin/aluminum foil crinkled up on the part where they jump, they do not like the sound or the feel.

Anonymous

Sticky doubled sided tape put on where they jump will help. Cats don't like their paws messed up.

http://www.teapotcottage.com

Cats will always check out their neighbourhood, but I can't see them jumping up there deliberately to 'tease' your dog. That's a wierd statement. Anyway, to deter them, bang in a couple of nails across the flat surfaces, making sure that there's not enough room for pussycat feet to go around. Cats won't like a spiky surface. They also hate aluminium foil under their paws, so you could maybe alternate the two?

Please try not to be judgmental in your statements, especially when your comment is merely your opinion, not fact. Cats do indeed tease dogs by hanging around places when they know that they cannot be reached by a dog, deliberately looking down on them from a height, or basking on the ground and constantly looking up at a dog in a window. Cats and dogs have intelligence, and are capable of manipulative behaviours just like humans.

I completely agree with flyeagleswings. We have two cats that live behind us, that like to lay on top of our fence and look down at my two dogs who go crazy. The cats have been doing this for about 6 months now, and it is frustrating. I have to explain to my other neighbors what is going on, because the dogs see the cats from inside and go ballistic. The cats run in our front yard and around the neighborhood, too. I will try the double-sticky sided tape to see if that helps. Thank you.

It's not odd at all. Most of the cats around mine will sit on the fence and wind my dog up. I Evan caught one jump down when my dog wasn't paying attention.make sure he sees them by walking past him then jumping on the dog house whilst he goes nuts.

The water pistol works every time - only one direct hit needed usually - cats are smart and learn pretty quickly! This doesn't harm the cat just gives it a fright - behaviour modification training for the cat and then the dog won't need it!

Regards

Jo

amonia... I use this to keep cats from setting off my car alarm,, I just poured a little near my car and they dont get near it anymore

I just read some place to use a squirt bottle of cold water to keep cats from going where you don't want them. Or/and I would plant climbing roses and train them to go straight up and along the top. You can also buy wire baskets that hang, then you just set a plant in the basket. Roses or maybe cacti. I had a cat that used to use my plants for a litter box till I got a couple of cacti. Now, he goes outside he will not even use the litter box!

I just soaked the top of my fence with straight vinegar. I also outlined the yard with it too. I will let you know how it goes.....

Our neighbors cat is too stupid. I'm not saying cats in particularly are, but I shoot it with the hose and it thinks its having a special rain treatment. We don't have a fence so she comes into our yard coming closer and closer right into my dog's face and scratches and hisses( my dog isn't very stranger or animal friendly which helps). the neighbors' watch us from there window too!! It scratches our cars when it goes into the garage. It uses our sandbox and garden as a litter box. We can't go outside freely with our dog or by ourselves. The neighbors have asked us if the cat is bothering us..... but what can they do? They can't keep her inside. Please answer this problem and what is a cheap afordable to keep her out.

Very frustrated,

Sal

Anonymous

Your neighbors can keep their bad cat inside! Have you spoken with them about their pet? It is their responsibility to manage their pet! I can't stand rude people like that. I am having the same problem with rude neighbors who leave their cat out to wreck other neighbors yards and gardens. I have bought all kind of humane deterants but nothing stops that hard headed messy cat. It's going to force me now to take drastic measures because the rude owners don't care what their pet does! I'm either going to call the humane society or put up some barb wire because I am fed up with that little terror tearing up my garden in MY yard!

We're in the US. Between the two of us, we've been owned by 25-30 mostly indoor cats. When we moved to this state six years ago, our last cats had been gone for about a year. We love cats who have responsible owners.

What we've done:

1) Spray bottles of water don't work. They don't have the power or range. Bought a $30 water rifle and that was better. Mixed cayenne (45 to 90 scoville) and it didn't help.

2) Ran after the cats. Waste of breath. We're seniors :) .

3) Put branches in tree where one cat used to hang out to stalk birds. Looks like he** but the cat can't get in it.

4) Animal control said we can use mothballs. We're so tired of the cats, we don't care (it's toxic) and I have a copy of the note about using mothballs from An. Ctl.

5) Chicken wire was put down under our tree in mulch and the following day - cat feces.

6) Went through Animal Control after making many attempts with our neighbors verbally and in writing to tell them to get their cats under control. That caused escalation by both of us because the neighbors took their time and didn't do what they were told.

7) What seems to work best is using game cameras or as the neighbor called it, "surveillance." Whatever they need to think - if it scares them, that's great. I made it clear we'll never have this problem again. Sure enough, one of their cats went into our mulch, followed rapidly by the neighbor running in and removing the cat.

8) We spent about $80 spreading cayenne and it didn't work. I could boost the heat factor but the price increases tremendously.

Cats aren't the problem. Stupid, rude, irresponsible neighbors are. The neighbors have no intention of keeping their cats inside (they said it more than once). Good luck - consider the game cameras for proof of the problem and the fact that it bothers the neighbors is a bonus (not taking any photos involving their property (not legal here) except their damn cats).

Depending on where you live see if it is legal to trap them and take them to the humane society I have trapped several of my neighbors cats and took them down there it cost them money to get them back out after awhile they started keeping them inside they were destroying my yard but they didn't care but you start hitting them in the wallet and they learn quickly

Putting up a fence is the obvious answer! That's the only way to keep them separate and then put something across the top of the fence e.g. A rolling plastic tube or half a gutter upside down tied down to stop the cat jumping up on it. But without a fence you've got no right to be moaning really!

i need a qwuick solution for cats

this girl drove int omy parked car and until her insurance settles I need to keept the stray cats from entering my open car....i am opreventing fleasa nd peeing and overall cat smells

please help....the car dorr wont close

iread that cats hate tin foil..thats cheep may =be i could rig up a foil gate in the hole

Spray the inside of the car with lavender cats hate lavender it works

Cats are very useful to keep vermin such as mice, snakes out of our yards.

I use mothballs around the area where I park my car.

They don't like the smell so they stay away.

Peace

Anonymous

Hi. Moth balls are poisonous to animals. Might look online for a natural, safe alternative.

Even when you're a cat lover but have cats killing off wildlife and defecating and urinating on our property, crapping up our garage, being territorial and more there comes a time to do something on the toxic side - especially when it's in writing from animal control so it's legal. Spouse wanted to put up barbed wire in a select area but we could be sued if the animal is damaged. I said we can't. I'll settle for mothballs.

Cats also endanger wildlife that other people want to create a safe haven for. It is quite upsetting when you set up bird boxes and feeders and then have cats stalking them.

Mouse traps.

I had the most amazing reaction from my cat when it saw a snake on my patio. It really freaked out and wouldn't come back to that area for at last six months. I placed a rubber snake on my back steps and the cat wouldn't come on them at all. I had to go outside to place her food and even after a year since "the snake", she looks very carefully at the steps then come uphard against one edge constantly looking over her shoulder in case it's there.

Perhaps string a couple of pretend snakes on the fence & watch its reaction. Good luck

I have heard cats hate citrus smells and tried appling lemon lemon flash diluted near the bins and that worked for a while. I've even bought a pair of black tin cats that have realistic eyes and positioned them in the grass that worked for a while too,until one of the cats tried to mate with them! Growing plants they hate the smell of is my next plan as water squirting seems to make no difference. I wish someone would come up with a foolproof invention to keep the cats out.

The foolproof way won't work if the neighbor cat owners are fools. It's called keeping the cats inside. When I was in my early 20s, I didn't want my cats going to other people's property and started keeping them inside.

Lots of ways to go after cats and there are two who were coming here and pretty much stopped - we stopped chasing them and their owners are responsible. There are two others (down from three - one never came back) who are hardheaded and what worked for the other two, just don't work on them. I guess each cat has its own tolerance level. Best of luck.

valleyrimgirl; what caliber do you find the most effective? Actually, I have a friend who keeps a 12' Boa in his backyard. Very effective, I must say! Haven't seen any cats (or squirrels, for that matter) lately. lol! Just kidding! :) The rest of you, don't freak now and start sending me a bunch of hate mail! I am sincerely just kidding! I would never hurt any animal, human or any other living thing. Best of luck to you all. I have learned to just ignore the neighbors pesky cats. So lighten up.

Anonymous

There is nothing wrong with Boas, I have had a 13 and 6 foot ones. I assume not hurting animals comes from keeping a boa in the yard? They need to be kept warm. Snakes do not make other peoples lives unpleasant, the only animals that do are vermin and need to be controlled.

I was going to suggest bird goo - the silicone caulk that stays sticky when it dries - and then I saw that you have a plant growing up to the top of the fence. The goo might work on a naked fence though. Water gun or hose with a good strong stream of water may work, unless this is one of those mutant cats that like water. Good luck!

It's hilarious to me that people think they own the planet. Get an animal cage it up or never let it go outside. Cats must be kept inside haha. A cat is purposely teasing my dog haha My dog I keep on a leash or only let it go where I deem it is allowed. I am human hear me roar. All animals must limit themselves to where I say they are allowed. I'll feed the squirrels but cats bad, bad....stay away don't be a cat haha. People are awesome! I loved reading these posts. Don't be judgemental but those cats are....haha Oh dog lovers you amuse me. Keep your dog confined. Dress them up as humans and keep those kitties away. LMAO.

Absolutely agree! How high and mighty humans think they are.... humans are the ones that have spent thousands of years domesticating these poor animals who were quite happy roaming wild, until humans decided 'WE' could USE them for our own needs! And then when animals don't behave the way we want them to we sit and 'boohoo' about it! Ridiculous! We've moved into their territory, cut most of it down, concreted over it, taken what we wanted and left very little space left for them to live, then complain and get violent when they cross back over onto their home turf! I don't believe any animal should be caged it's cruel and making up reasons as to why they should be only serves to ease our guilt as to why we feel the need to do it in the first place.

Animals don't cage themselves in the wild, only humans build cages and walls, maybe we should stay inside and not venture out if we can't behave properly when we're unleashed?