Keeping Cats Off My Fence

Category Cats
Cats love to roam around their neighborhood and this often means climbing on fences. This is a guide about keeping cats off my fence.

How do I keep the neighbor's cats off the top of my fence? It has a four foot lattice with a top rail and it's covered in wisteria but the cats next door manage to sit up there and tease my dog. Consequently the dog spends most of his day barking and whining and getting scolded for his behavior. Please help. The neighbor is not at all cooperative.

Annie

Answers

Best Answer

the water gun approach is good and I would suggest you try to put tin/aluminum foil crinkled up on the part where they jump, they do not like the sound or the feel.

Best Answer

I had the most amazing reaction from my cat when it saw a snake on my patio. It really freaked out and wouldn't come back to that area for at last six months. I placed a rubber snake on my back steps and the cat wouldn't come on them at all. I had to go outside to place her food and even after a year since "the snake", she looks very carefully at the steps then come uphard against one edge constantly looking over her shoulder in case it's there.

Perhaps string a couple of pretend snakes on the fence & watch its reaction. Good luck

Best Answer

I was going to suggest bird goo - the silicone caulk that stays sticky when it dries - and then I saw that you have a plant growing up to the top of the fence. The goo might work on a naked fence though. Water gun or hose with a good strong stream of water may work, unless this is one of those mutant cats that like water. Good luck!

How to keep cats from walking on top of my block wall? My dog goes nuts.

By Joe B.

Answers

Best Answer

Your cats or somebody else's? I have just a few suggestions. A garden hose is the very best! Also, cats. must have their own perches and enticing food at their home. If you see the cats, you can use sharp "Hsssst!" and a gravel spray.

Cats are smart and will learn, but they just have to be aware first. There are two different repellent sprays at my hardware store, one that has a strong garlic/citronella scent, the other does not, so try these.

Also you can put something with an undesirable texture on your fence ledge, such as something tacky, or spiky, or a length of soaker hose. I have many cats myself. If they are your cats, you have more control.

If ferals or belong to someone else, then there could be territory issues so cats are fanning out to your wall; so territory issues should be resolved at the owners' such as separate litter boxes, feeding dishes, things to make them want to stay closer to home?

Also, cats like tall grass in the hot weather; let a patch of grass get tall to attract them away from your wall (again, if they are your cats).

Best Answer

As a cat lover, I feel I understand them. They don't seem to care if you don't want them to do something. They see your efforts to deter them as an obsticle to overcome. To keep them off your wall you must make it so they don't want to get up there. I am curious though as to why you don't want them there.

Feral cats, and also cats that are allowed outdoors seem to have regular paths that they take when they are out for their nightly (or daily) prowl. I once lived in a town where a favorite cat path was right across my yard.

You didn't show a picture of your wall but if the top is flat you can cut a piece of "chicken fence". If you don't live in the states this is a light weight wire fencing that bends easily. Cut it in a strip as wide as the top of your wall and lay it across the top buckling it often so it doesn't lay flat. Secure it with a brick here and there. The cats won't like walking across it and will soon change their walking path to another place.